Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

This Router is throttling everyting

This is a discussion on This Router is throttling everyting within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; This router can only handle one job at a time.The bandwith is seriously limited. I am new to this forum ...

johnojones is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs down This Router is throttling everyting

This router can only handle one job at a time.The bandwith is seriously limited.
      I am new to this forum and this is my first thread.I was brought here myself after trying to get help over many,many issues i have had since signing up to Sky Connect,getting my equipment much later than the activation date and experiencing every single identical problem that users on this site have had themselves.Limewire at 19kbs MAX,if more than 1 download then they share the 19kbs!!I can have 6 hosts and never go over 0kbs because another download is using all of the19kbs!!Constant pages not loading on surfing,refresh gives the same.I have to close and re-open I.E every time.I.E 7 does a diagnostic and the problem lies with the ROUTER!.
      This is the first time in my life i have had a router and it stinks.I just want a straight connection from phone line to PC,thats it.
      No router,firewall,middle thing telling me i cannot have this or that,just a pure and simple connection.
      Why should we have to try and " port forward",adjust things to get better results when they should not need cinfiguring anyway really.We are all going inside our pc`s and routers trying to set things set so that we can get the benefits of an 8mb download.And the success rate is?
      Just answer this;The router is Firewalled to maximum security,recommendations are to turn all our Zone alarms,anti-virus firewalls off.And yet Sky offer you McAFee Norton Antivirus for free(which i declined)
      whats the point of that then?
      Last and not least,i have tried everything that people have posted on hear as we are all trying to get to the same results and i am still frustrated.I am seriously considering launchimg this router on Bonfire night attached to the biggest Sky Rocket i can find.
      I believe it strangles everything,not just Limewire .If i am watching football on my PC,and i start receiving mail,or try surfing the net at half-time,guess what?Nothing,no pages load and my email fails.This router can only handle one job at a time.The bandwith is seriously limited.
      I am connected via Ethernet,Windows XP SP2,and a leather chair.
      Any thoughts,and by the way you try playing an online game or similar to me like watch live streaming football and try to send an email at the same time and let me know how you get on.

JJ.
      Last edited by johnojones; 29-10-06 at 06:43 PM.

2. Advertisement
      bewlay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Have the same problem, using any p2p programme, currently using utorrent, getting ok speeds, but nowhere near as fast as it should be despite following the good advice of folks in this forum. It would be bearable if the rest of the net didnt freeze totally when using such progs.

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Make sure that the ports LimeWire uses are forwarded within the router?

I use uTorrent and I get speeds of 656kB/ps on a good seeded torrent!

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Also,

Welcome to SkyUser.co.uk - The Unofficial Sky Broadband Forums!

ub8jayuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWUXB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      I can only guess if everything is configured okay then the router is faulty. I always see complaints about the router and okay its not the best around but I have always used Netgear 834, 834G and now this is my 3rd 834GT not because they were fault but because I got them free from ISP's.. Never touch wood had any problems. Using Azereus i can get get decents speeds and have no issues doing multiple things online.

johnojones is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Red face

Thanks for the welcome, and the replies on this thread.
      I have done all the port forwarding from portforward.com,i have tweaked my pc tcp,mtu settings etc as suggested and no luck at all.I have now reset my pc settings and my router of which i have two of because i could not connect to the internet with the first one so Sky sent me another,but the problem was with my ethernet card.New card,2 Netgear routers,tried them both.One is factory settings the other is set as portfoward recommended and i have Upnp off,wireless off,open all ports.No luck.
      I am just using the "normal one"and standard pc settings as no difference has been made at all,(apart from loss of connection a couple of times while messing with all those settings).
      I have even emailed Netgear themselves who advised me to go to portfoward.com....to set up Limewire!!
      That's when i finally decided to give up and post a remark here.
      I would like to know if any of you suffer whilst watching streaming tv or when using Limewire.I was watching the footy on my pc and nothing else would want to work to do with the internet.The stream stays constant no problem,just no web pages email fails to connect to server.Its hopeless !!
      I.E 7 runs a diagnostic and problem lies with the router.
      Felt like i was using a P200 back in them 90's.

stevvie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bradwell Abbey (SMBA)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I would get in touch with sky as I can often get 1.4meg using Bittorrent. I have Upnp OFF as it is clearly faulty in this router and the ports properly forwarded in the router. I run a programe called Cfos from www.Cfos.de that balances/traffic shapes my connection so I can happily upload at 75-80k download at 1.2-1.4meg and watch movies and use VOIP with no stuttering or stops. I would say that these netgear routers are at the bottom of the pile. What with thier UPNP and stuppid WiFi problems like having to use channel 6 when you use auto mode.