Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Lan Port Is Different Mac Address to My Computer

This is a discussion on Lan Port Is Different Mac Address to My Computer within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have reset my router, and I have changed the settings, I have noticed a difference in the Mac Address ...

wolfiebrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Lan Port Is Different Mac Address to My Computer

I have reset my router, and I have changed the settings, I have noticed a difference in the Mac Address

My Mac address of my computer is completely different to the Mac address listed on the Lan Port is this correct?

In the Wireless Station Access List I have turned access control on and added a Trusted wireless station with my Mac address

Should I add an address Reservation in Lan Ip Setup?

I thought the Mac address should be the same?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      dewdude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verizon
      Broadband ISP: Verizon FiOS (Fibre)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Lan Port Is Different Mac Address to My Computer

My Mac address of my computer is completely different to the Mac address listed on the Lan Port is this correct?
      Computers do not have MAC addresses persay, network devices have a MAC address, but a computer will not have one main MAC address. In fact, most laptops will have two; a MAC for the ethernet port and a MAC for the wireless card.

Did you switch from wireless to wired or vise-versa? I also don't mean when you say "address listed on the LAN port"...one of the MAC addresses listed on the bottom of the router? The mac address of the router itself?

Usually a MAC only changes on a computer if you tell the drivers to clone a MAC address or you change connection types/upgrade a device.

Code:
      Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
         Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
         Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
         Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 20-6A-8A-XX-XX-XX
         DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
         Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home
         Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5B97 Wireless Network Adapter
         Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 1C-65-9D-XX-XX-XX
         DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
         Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
         Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::ca4:174a:a1f9:4b7a%11(Preferred)
         IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.9(Preferred)
         Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
         Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 27, 2014 9:18:00 AM
         Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 28, 2014 9:18:00 AM
         Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
         DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
         DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 236742045
         DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-5C-60-61-1C-65-9D-XX-XX-XX

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
         NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
         Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter
         Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-00-27-00-48-60
      As you can see, each network device has a different physical address...in the case of the Broadcom and Atheros, this is embedded inside the card. The VirtualBox one isn't real...but still has a different MAC than the rest of the devices on the computer. (MAC's removed to prevent someone from cloning them and abusing them on a network to frame me. It's not likely, but it's possible. VirtualBox doesn't count)

seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Each network device has a different MAC address. If the manufacturer of your wireless controller is different to your ethernet controller then the MACs will be completely different as the first part of a MAC indicates the manufacturer. There is no harm in reserving an IP address for wireless and LAN. Whether it is necessary depends on how you use your computer.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You are probably better reserving the PCs address in the Address Reservation list as it will ensure you do not get an IP conflict, with the address being given to another device. It is not 100% necessary as the Wireless Access list looks for the MAC address and not the IP address, but is worth doing.

Your router will have two MAC addresses, one for the Broadband port and one for the LAN port. Your PC can have many, depending on what adapters you have installed, ie, ethernet, wireless, bluetooth, tunnel adapters and possible Firewire.

There is no need to put your routers address in the access list, the only time a router would be in this list would be if it were a wireless extender connecting to the main router.

Every network adapter has a unique MAC address, be it in a PC, Mobile phone,STB, Tablet, camera or even your fridge if you are rich enough to have one connected to the internet. This address identifies them on the internet. Barring one which has been cloned, no two MAC addresses are the same.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

wolfiebrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thank you both for your valuable information.

I never use the wireless, I always switch it off, (deselect at router) because I see this as a security risk.

I have a Mac which I forgot to mention. I do have a laptop but I don't like using two computers on the one router, so I only use laptop when I am out i.e library, as again this could be a security risk.

If I do reserve the address, should I use 192.168.0.2?

Thanks again!

Thanks
      Blog Entries

You are probably better reserving the PCs address in the Address Reservation list as it will ensure you do not get an IP conflict, with the address being given to another device.
      Part of DHCP is keeping a table of what devices have what IP. When the DHCP on your router assigns you an IP, it adds this information to a lookup table...probably the same table that you do IP reservation on. The difference between IP reservation and DHCP is IP reservations assignments stick while DHCP assignments expire if the client is not connected when the lease expires. Sometimes DHCP will keep handing you the same IP, regardless of how long it's been off; sometimes it won't. It all depends on how the DHCP server is configured to operate.

Generally speaking, you won't get an IP conflict in a DHCP enviroment *unless* you try to specify an IP for a device that's already assigned; DHCP will prevent IP conflicts. Better DHCP servers will take in to account any static IP's you've set. Mine will scan the network and devices that have an IP not requested by DHCP will get assigned static IPs...sort of doing a built-in registration.

I never use the wireless, I always switch it off, (deselect at router) because I see this as a security risk.

I have a Mac which I forgot to mention. I do have a laptop but I don't like using two computers on the one router, so I only use laptop when I am out i.e library, as again this could be a security risk.

Little paranoid? It's ok, there are a few things you can do to make your wifi more secure so you can use it without worry. Encryption is obvious, as long as you're using WPA2, it's relatively secure. You can also do MAC filtering, in which you enter the MAC (Media Access Control) address of your wifi card in to the router and the router will then only talk to that specific MAC. You can also not broadcast the SSID of the router. Computers can't connect without knowing the SSID, and if it doesn't broadcast it; then even if someone knows you have wifi; they have no clue what it's "name" is to talk to it. So, you do all three of those things and most scanners will be unable to find or identify your wifi; not to mention the router will likely refuse to talk to them if they can get past the required encryption. It's like burying an invisible box full of obfuscation. Only you know where it's buried, only you know that it's actually there, and only you can understand the contents.

As far as not using two computers on one router; that does not pose a real security risk. That router should have a pretty good firewall to prevent outsiders from getting on. I have...seven devices on my network and I've never had as security problem. I'm trying to figure out how it could even be thought of as a risk. As long as your laptop didn't pick anything up from the public wifi (I distrust all public wifi and run at least 3 levels of software firewall when on one); there's no risk of running multiple computers.

Last edited by dewdude; 27-02-14 at 06:54 PM. Reason: I typed ass instead of add...which didn't get censored.

seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dewdude View Post
      Last edited by dewdude; Today at 06:54 PM. Reason: I typed ass instead of add...which didn't get censored.
      I think that donkeys are allowed.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

That must be what it is; it has no problem letting me on.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

In the Wireless Station Access List I have turned access control on and added a Trusted wireless station with my Mac address
      If you don't use wireless, there is no point in a WSA as it only applies to wireless connections. Unfortunately the Sky routers are incapable of full MAC filtering, so stopping an ethernet connection is not possible. You can do it using Firewall rules, but it is a clumsy solution.

If you use WPA2 with AES encryption with a strong key, there is little chance of your network being hacked, especially if you change the Admin password for the router. As Dewdude infers, there is much more danger using a public network. Unless the network is set up with Wireless Isolation, which they should be, it is entirely possible for the guy sitting next to you to break into your Laptop. That's apart from the administrator who is running the network, do you trust him/her 100%, you would not be wise to do so. Although the majority are trustworthy there is always a chance of one rotten apple being in the basket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.