Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Hub SR102 - MAC Filtering Problems

This is a discussion on Sky Hub SR102 - MAC Filtering Problems within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Has anyone else had any problems with setting up MAC filtering on this new router? I recently got my free ...

SilentBob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDWMA (West Malling)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Hub SR102 - MAC Filtering Problems

Has anyone else had any problems with setting up MAC filtering on this new router?

I recently got my free upgrade to the new Sky Hub. However, during setting it up I encountered issues with the MAC filtering (or "Access List"). Whilst adding items manually, one of the entries came up in the list as "UNKNOWN" instead of the device name that I had given it.

I tried deleting it to re-add it, but it wouldn't delete. I tried re-adding it with the correct name, but it wouldn't let me (because this MAC address was already on the list). So I continued. But when I added the next device, although it went on with the correct device name the previously "UNKNOWN" device also took that same device name.

This also happened further into the list, this time 2 x "UNKNOWN" taking the same next device name. Therefore having 3 in the list with the same device name.

Again I tried deleting entries, and it wouldn't delete ANY device from the list.

I thought I would try a reboot (via the diagnostics page), but after rebooting the router it would no longer enter the router settings page (192.168.0.1). Also wireless wouldn't turn on. Wired devices had a connection, but couldn't do anything via wireless.

I phoned Sky who apparently had 3 other people on calls at the same time who also could not access the router settings. So they decided that the best thing to do would be to send me a replacement router.

So I have received the replacement. Before changing ANY other settings I thought I would tackle the access list first. First device came up as "UNKNOWN". I couldn't delete it. So I performed a factory reset. First device went on ok, but 2nd came up as "UNKNOWN". Again I am unable to delete anything from the access list.

And that is where I am now.

Has this router got seriously flawed firmware? I asked about firmware version when I called Sky about the previous one, and they advised it was up to date with the latest f/w, so I have no reason to think that this one isn't.

FYI: Firmware Version = 2.1j.3010.R

Any confirmation that this is a widespread problem, and even better still a solution, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
      Simon

2. Advertisement
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Hub SR102 - MAC Filtering Problems

Ok, I finally got it setup. I used "Revert to Factory Default Settings" until my first device was successfully added. And after that I backed up my settings after every successful device addition, restoring from the previous backup whenever I got an "UNKNOWN" deice again.

It took a while, but I finally got my full list setup. I also tested deleting a device which seemed to work this time too.

Something is definitely not right with the router or firmware as it should not take that much effort & time to simply setup an access list.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: Sky Hub SR102 - MAC Filtering Problems

For some reason the SR101 and SR102 do not recognise the names of every device connected to it.

Someone previously posted that some symbols may make it harder to recognise, but this should not really matter.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

These were manually added devices, so nothing that needed to be recognised. The SR102 won't allow most symbols anyway (underscores are ok though).