Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Idiot's Guide to NAS?

This is a discussion on Idiot's Guide to NAS? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello all, I'm new here and have a very simple question regarding my setup. Currently I have the sky DG834GT ...

efunc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Idiot's Guide to NAS?

Hello all,

I'm new here and have a very simple question regarding my setup. Currently I have the sky DG834GT router which I have had for many years and happily connect my macs, PCs, iphones, and iPad to it over Wi-Fi. I've just bought a Seagate BlackArmor NAS and really have no idea how I'm supposed to use it! I'm inexperienced with basic networking setups but can figure it out once I know where to start...

So, if I want this NAS to be available to my Mac am I right in thinking I can simply connect the NAS to one of the ethernet ports of the DG834GT and the Mac to another? All I know is that I need a router, hub or switch. Does the DG834GT qualify? If not, what do I need to purchase? Once I've got started I'll try and figure the rest out myself.

Many thanks!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: Idiot's Guide to NAS?

Setting up your specific NAS should be covered in the manual. From what you are suggesting though, you knowledge is a little bit more limited.

A few simple bullet points for you:

• NAS - Network Attached Storage - In this case the work Network gives you a clue. It needs to be attached to your home network which is controlled by your DG834GT router. So yes, connect the NAS to your router via the Ethernet port. You Mac can connect in its normal way (i.e. Ethernet or WiFi)
      • Access - Each time you power off the router or NAS you may get a new IP Address for the NAS the next time they are both connected. For this reason look at using the router to set a 'Reserved IP Address' for the NAS. The settings will be on the router under the 'Advanced' section (I think 'LAN IP Setup')
      • Once setup, you can place the NAS where ever you like in your home, provided that it can connect to your home network. Consider getting a suitable Ethernet cable and placing the NAS out of site where it will get a good air circulation and be safe from outside forces (i.e. little fingers, water, fire)
      • Use the 'admin' ID for administration work. Set up a second ID for your access. If you need to set up access for other people, give them each their own ID.
      • Any media files will be available to everyone to view when placed in the correct path, including a suitable smart TV and other such devices
      • Things can go wrong. Your initial setup may not be what you finally go for. Be prepared to play around and do not move all your files to the NAS immediately. By all means copy some things across so that you can ge used to it and see what does or does not work, but for now keep copies elsewhere
      • For the reason abve, make a note of what settings you use

I hope this helps. Hopefully some who knows the Seagate BlackArmor NAS can provide more specific information.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

efunc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks! That helps a lot, much appreciated. I was primarily unsure whether or not my DG834GT would perform the function of network hub, or if I'd need some intermediary device. I've only used it to connect to sky broadband, not to have all my devices talking to each other. Now I'll just go ahead, install the NAS software and get cracking on setting it all up. Thanks again.

Thanks

No problem.

Do play around though. Set it all up. Copy some content across. See how it works and learn about any mistakes.

This gives you the opportunity to play a little in order to find what you want and how it all works.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Modern routers from most ISP's are just a modem part with a built-in ethernet switch to share the connection and services between all devices connected to it. You can also daisy-chain additional switches if you need additional wired ports and attach additional wireless nodes if your Sky router has too many wireless devices connecting at the one time.

Once you understand the basics is really quite easy to add extra capacity.

I have a Raspberry Pi running XBMC with external hard drives connected to it which functions as a NAS for my smart tv downstairs to also play those files and I can copy from my desktop to it to keep files available when the PC is off. The Raspberry Pi is on all the time as it's power usage is very low.
      This might be a bit advanced but it's essentially the same as what you seem to be trying to setup.

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      Once you understand the basics is really quite easy to add extra capacity.
      Glad this thread popped up. I've been thinking my next PC upgrade will mean I will finally have to introduce a more sensible storage arrangement. Over the years I have just been adding new drives and slinging the smallest when the racks in my case got full. At the moment I have 3TB, 2TB and 1.5TB HDDs plus a 120GB for the OS.

So is a NAS basically just a glorified external drive?

Am I right in assuming all NAS systems are entirely flexible as far as drive options go and upgrades are as easy as sliding in another HDD?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

So is a NAS basically just a glorified external drive?

Am I right in assuming all NAS systems are entirely flexible as far as drive options go and upgrades are as easy as sliding in another HDD?
      It is an external drive, or drives which can connect direct to your network. This means they can be accessed by any device on your network and properly set up from a remote network.

NAS (Networked Attached Storage) comes in all shapes and sizes. Some have one or two fixed built in drives and others are simply a box in which you can install one to four or more drives. The choice of which to use is up to you and your budget.

This one requires drives to be added, up to four-
      http://www.dabs.com/products/buffalo...NAS&origin=pla

and this has built in drives
      http://www.dabs.com/products/buffalo...LWJ.html?src=3

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Restorer (17-08-13)

Thanks

A NAS is basically a file server with the software, at least in most cases for the domestic market, to allow you to stream content using DLNA over your network.

So it is a computer, with not keyboard, mouse or screen.

They will be set up so that you access the unit via a GUI (much like your router). There will normally be a reset button on them so that it it all goes wrong, you can 'factory reset' it.

As for storage and adding, removing drives, this varies between the different models.

Access is via your home network or via your router's WAN IP Address and a port number when away.

The HP MediaSmart Server, for example, allows you to just add or remove drives of any size, upto 2TB. I am aware of some adding 3TB drives with an update, they may even be able to add 4TB drives now. It uses M$ Home Server 2003 but some have changed this to later versions and even Windows 8 as it has a good method to add additional drives. I didn't see any hint of RAID on this though. This could mean that if you do not have a complete backup elsewhere, it will be lost.

I have a couple of Netgear ReadyNAS units. Netgear has released a newer version, but the ones I have allow a drive up to 3TB to be used. You can increase a live storage up to 8TB from the first size, but no more. My 6-bay unit freaked when I tried to install the 2nd batch of 3x3TB drives. It uses X-RAID which means that should one drive fail, I can simply pull the dodgy drive out and fit a new one. The unit reformats the replacement and copies what was on the old drive back onto it. You do have to use the same capacity on each drive though, otherwise you will get the comined storage of the smallest drive across all the ones you have.

With both the above examples you can stream music, video and pictures using a suitable TV back up files from your laptop or PC, play content to a smart phone or tablet. You may have to install extra modules, but you can even host your iMusic library on them.

Things to consider may include:

• Budget
      • What you want to do with one
      • How much capacity you want now and may want later
      • Backup of the NAS (if it can go wrong, it will!)
      • If you have an Xbox or PS/3 you will most likely need some transcoding software for some video content, research this as you will often have to pay extra for it (Twonky worked the best when I helped someone on his HP MediaSmart Server, but needed some changes to the default settings but isn't free)
      • Will you want to access the content when away? via FTP or streaming? (most have FTP modules installed as standard, for streaming you'll need something such as Skifta and a good upload speed - ADSL2+ isn't really good enough for streaming music, let alone video)
      • Who will have access? Most NAS will allow you to setup users and grant access according to specific permissions. This is useful if you want someone to be able to only read specific folders, but not be able to delete anything
      • Security - a loaded topic with a lot to consider
      • Anti-Virus - The HP MediaSmart servers require a server specific AV product. The Netgear ReadyNAS use Linux and AV products are available

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Restorer (17-08-13)

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Thanks, guys. Very informative.