Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Phone keeps crackling everytime internet is on, slow connection, wont connect to wireless

This is a discussion on Phone keeps crackling everytime internet is on, slow connection, wont connect to wireless within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I know absolute nothing about internet connection (thus why Ive come here) So about 2 months ago our internet would ...

gemgemchan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EALAI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear DGND3700v2
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Phone keeps crackling everytime internet is on, slow connection, wont connect to wireless

I know absolute nothing about internet connection (thus why Ive come here)

So about 2 months ago our internet would not connect to any wireless devices that is too far away. Sometimes when I tried using my ipad it wont connect unless your in the same room as the router is in. My little sister used to be able to connect to the internet with her xbox 360 while the router was in my room. Now she can only connect if she puts the router in her room. So we are constantly moving the router from one room to the other.

Anyway soon after the phone wouldnt work whenever the internet was turned on. There would be crackling noises down the phone and we have to turn off the internet everytime to answer the phone.

I tried researching into what I should do to try and fix the problem. They mentioned filters. So I changed it to a new one to see if that helped but it made no difference.

Oh and if you get a wireless connection with say your ipad it finds it really hard to connect (sometimes there be only one connection bar on the ipad when you're about a foot away from the router) Speed is also a problem with wireless as well.

I really dont know what to do. Can anyone help?

2. Advertisement
      Meteosat is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Phone keeps crackling everytime internet is on, slow connection, wont connect to wireless

Quote Originally Posted by gemgemchan View Post
      I know absolute nothing about internet connection (thus why Ive come here)

So about 2 months ago our internet would not connect to any wireless devices that is too far away. Sometimes when I tried using my ipad it wont connect unless your in the same room as the router is in. My little sister used to be able to connect to the internet with her xbox 360 while the router was in my room. Now she can only connect if she puts the router in her room. So we are constantly moving the router from one room to the other.

Anyway soon after the phone wouldnt work whenever the internet was turned on. There would be crackling noises down the phone and we have to turn off the internet everytime to answer the phone.

I tried researching into what I should do to try and fix the problem. They mentioned filters. So I changed it to a new one to see if that helped but it made no difference.

Oh and if you get a wireless connection with say your ipad it finds it really hard to connect (sometimes there be only one connection bar on the ipad when you're about a foot away from the router) Speed is also a problem with wireless as well.

I really dont know what to do. Can anyone help?
      I would venture to suggest that there are multiple problems, so several different solutions may be required.

1. The router may have become overheated or is malfunctioning. But it could also be that there is a device nearby which is putting out a strong signal on the same channel as the router Wi-Fi. If you can, use a Wi-Fi analyser to see what is happening in the environs of the router. If it is the router then a call to SKY would sort that.

2. The crackling on the line plus the interaction between phone and BB suggest faults in the splitting off of the ADSL signal from the telephone audio. There may be more than one filter needing a change as unless you have a correctly fitted filtered faceplate, in which case this could be at fault, though I would imagine that is not the cause. If you don't have phone lines/extensions coming directly off a filtered plate, then each connection point off the main phone line may well need a micro-filter.

It would be helpful to let us know thee wiring configuration in your property, and the results of any checks you make in the light of the above. I'm sure it will all get sorted soon.

Cheers

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Phone keeps crackling everytime internet is on, slow connection, wont connect to wireless

It would also help if you posted your router stats, one set from your normal position and one from the Test socket using only the filter and ADSL cable supplied by Sky.. Details on how to do this can be found in these links-
      How to get your Sky Router statistics

How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

Simply copy and paste the results to the posting pane.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.