Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree6Likes

My Wired connection is very very slow but Wireless is fine

This is a discussion on My Wired connection is very very slow but Wireless is fine within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi again everyone Well now I'm confused as ever, although I think I'm sorted now. The ethernet ports on the ...

zeuss20 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAST GRINSTEAD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Re: My Wired connection is very very slow but Wireless is fine

Hi again everyone

Well now I'm confused as ever, although I think I'm sorted now.

The ethernet ports on the modem, - of which there are 4, show different results / behaviours

With the laptop , on all of the 4 ports it connects, but on the blue colored port, I got only 2mbps instead of 15 / 16 mbps

Now with the laptop and the PC connected to the router, I get 11.18mbps on the laptop , plugged into a yellow slot, and on the PC plugged into the green slot, I get only 1.29mbps

With the PC plugged into a yellow slot, I get 16.22mbps, and on the laptop yellow port, I get 14.91mbps

Now, I am not sure what's going on, I just wonder if we plug only into the yellow slots, that all should be fine

However, why did it all go to pot earlier on? , maybe I was testing only in the green and blue slots? , although I would argue it shouldn't make any difference.

My only concern is where the wireless adapter I use on the PC, is connected, is this affecting the wired connection?

Still, at present, I am using the Xbox , and the PC, and the laptop, at same time, I've been able to get the XBOX to communicate with the PC now.

The latest speed test with the laptop (wireless), the XBOX and the PC both connected to the yellow slots on the router, resulted in

The PC - speed was 14.67mbps
      The Laptop speed wireless was 11.19mbps

I have disabled the wireless now though, or at least removed the wireless adapter from the PC.

XBOX seems to be responding fine now

With the PC , on the first yellow port, I got 16.3mbps
      On the 2nd yellow port , with the PC , I got 14.4mbps
      On the green port , with the PC - I got nothing with the PC- or very slow - best I could get was 0.48mbps, later improving to 0.87mbps
      On the Blue port , with the PC , I got 7mbps , which later drops to 3mbps

If all is working OK, then it shouldn't make any difference should it? , which port I use, should return same result?

At the present time, having worked a week on this issue, I seem finally to have gotten somewhere,

One thing I don't understand though, I have disconnected the wireless adapter from my PC BUT I was able to print wirelessly from my PC to both wireless printers, how is this possible?

.................................................. .

A bit later, having put everything back as it was before, I now find wired speed slow again, no better than 6mbps, the XBOX is also slow again

I'm starting to doubt the fact it's the cables, as both worked fine earlier on tonight, so I don't understand what's changed.

The only constant is the modem, everything else is staying the same, the 2 cables work fine , or at least the 1st one does, With the new cable, and in the first yellow slot, I am now getting 14mbps / 15mbps.

The wireless on the PC is disabled still, as I have removed the adaptor.

All in all, I'm a little puzzled. However, I think we should be OK now for the moment. At least now I am consistently getting 15 /16 mbps download speeds with the router plugged into the yellow slot on the modem with the new cable.

I will test again tomorrow with the XBOX powered up and connected also to the modem, and see where we are.

I'm curious still why it's still so slow on the blue and green ports, is there a reason for this? Is the modem faulty?

I'm fairly sure I've ruled out the laptop, xbox and the pc as the problems, also the cables don't seem to make a difference, and as I said earlier, this leaves only the modem as an issue possibly.

Any thoughts anyone else?

2. Advertisement
      mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Are you using an online speedtest to get those results or are you transferring a file between the PC and laptop? You need to do the latter to check whether it's the ethernet ports at fault. The ports are 100Mbps, so you should be seeing transfer speeds of c.80Mbps between the laptop and PC. If you do this and don't get good results, then I'd suggest it's the ethernet ports on the router. I've had this happen on a couple of routers before.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattan View Post
      Are you using an online speedtest to get those results or are you transferring a file between the PC and laptop? You need to do the latter to check whether it's the ethernet ports at fault. The ports are 100Mbps, so you should be seeing transfer speeds of c.80Mbps between the laptop and PC. If you do this and don't get good results, then I'd suggest it's the ethernet ports on the router. I've had this happen on a couple of routers before.
      Yes, I am using an online speedtest to get these results.

The issue is here that the laptop and the PC are not on same network , the laptop is a work laptop, and I can't put it in same workgroup as the PC , as it'll screw everything up on the laptop

How can I make the laptop and the PC "talk "to each other, by transferring one file to another ?

Is it simply a case of connecting an ethernet cable to the PC and the other end to the laptop and then moving a file from one to the other? , I can do that tonight when I'm at home

Sorry to keep asking these questions but I've never had this problem before, and I'm keen to get this sorted out

Thanks for your help on this

Thanks

You might be able to transfer a file from your work laptop to the PC. Your PC is likely to be 'open' on the network so should be visible to the laptop. Other optio is if you mate can bring his laptop over and you transfer files between that and the PC - plugging the network cables in to the router. Make sure you try the different ports but keep, for example, the PC plugged in to the same port so you are only changing one thing at once.

You need to try and remove the internet as a variable from your tests as it's just one more thing that can throw up issues.

Thanks

Ok, great, I will try these out also

Thank you for your guidance

Thanks

I may not get the chance to do this , as my friend is away for the weekend.

Having come home tonight, everything has gone slow again on the wired internet, we're back down to the dizzy heights of 0.64mbps , and just under 1mbps

This morning and last night all was OK,

On the PC I have taken off the wireless adapter , so it's only using the wired connection

On the laptop, it's still fine as that is wireless only

So I am wondering now if the ethernet ports are the issue now.

Even if I reset the modem again, we'll probably have the same problem tomorrow

I shall be phoning Sky on Saturday to talk over all these tests

Something must be wrong somewhere , if I've changed the cables, tested them on all devices that use the 'net, and still I have problems?

The wired connection was working fine this morning ,and last night, tonight it's back to square one it seems

Even if I try to connect 2 items together on the router, that doesn't explain why I lose so much speed during the course of a day , admittedly it's not been used today , as I've been at work in London.

I suspect that Sky won't take my word for it, so by the time I convince them to do anything, I'll probably be at the stage of ending up trying the connect 2 things together on the router thing, and seeing how long file transfer takes.

So I'll be putting the wireless back on the PC tonight, so I can get some decent speeds,

shakey1980 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: New Brancepeth NENP
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeuss20 View Post
      Well folks,

It was the cables,

I have purchased a network cable this afternoon and tested out this evening, a mate brought his laptop round and connected to my router easily and very quickly. I tried this on both my laptop and my desktop with the cable connected, and the speed was what was expected - i.e. 15mbps , not 1 or 2mpbs as with the old cables.

I just need to test the XBOX but I think we've solved this issue.

I will need a longer network cable which I can buy from my local Retailer , which should mean I don't need to talk to Sky at all about this.

Whoever said it was the cables, you were spot on.

The difference in speed, between the new and the old cables, was instant ,

I'm so glad I've sorted this out , and a little annoyed I didn't think to replace the cables last week , when I had spent about half a day on this

Still you live and learn I suppose

Thanks all for your input on this , it is very much appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

You were spot on mate!

Thanks for your help
      glad to help

Thanks

With an old Linksys router, I had a similar issue. Reset the router and it would be OK for a while, then speeds would get slower until there would be no connection. As your mate is away, I'd try and get your PC and work laptop talking and see if you can do some file transfers as I suggested.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattan View Post
      With an old Linksys router, I had a similar issue. Reset the router and it would be OK for a while, then speeds would get slower until there would be no connection. As your mate is away, I'd try and get your PC and work laptop talking and see if you can do some file transfers as I suggested.
      OK, fine, thanks

So I can connect both devices to the router via modem cables, then transfer files from one to the other - is it that simple?

I temporarily disabled the wireless adapter , looked in network connections, I saw that the internet connection was not there, so the LAN is not even giving me enough to get online. The Internet connection only came back when I re-enabled the wireless adapter.

Still I'll see what I can do in the meantime.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

If you call Sky and tell them all of this they will probably say the router is broken. It shouldn't be as your router is at the most 3 years old if its a Sagem F@ST 2504, but these things can happen any time so age isn't really a factor.

Anyway, if you recontract with Sky broadband you can get a free Hub or its the normal 71 without a contract.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bubblegun For This Useful Post:

zeuss20 (21-06-13)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast