Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Real Frustrating Problems

This is a discussion on Real Frustrating Problems within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Ok, heres the story so far: Had SkyBB for 2 weeks tomorrow. For the first ~10 days, we had nothing ...

Dual is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Real Frustrating Problems

Ok, heres the story so far:
      Had SkyBB for 2 weeks tomorrow. For the first ~10 days, we had nothing but disconnecting problems, but from the stickies on the various sub forums around here, it was suppose to happen until day 11 when we should not turn the router off at all so the router and exchange and "talk" to each other. Day 11 comes, and for the first time, there was no problem at all, all day. A whole 24 hours online, and everything was going fine.
      However, Wednesday comes, and i come to use the internet when coming in from college, and its down with a Noise Margin of 1.6. Ok, so a quick reboot, and im back online. For 10 minutes. Within them 10 minutes, my noise margin drops from ~8 to about 3, which just totally isnt right. After some more reboots it works until i finish what im doing for the night.
      However; i come to use the internet today (Thursday), and i turn my PC on, and suprise, suprise, the internet is down with a noise margin in the 2-3 area. I do a quick reboot, but notice that my connection speed hasn't dropped, and it has sync'ed again at exactly the same speed. In the space of two hours, i rebooted around 15 times. Eventually it works, but come the evening, the noise margin is dropping very rapidly again. In the reboot space of 5 minutes, its dropping from 7 to 4. I reboot as usual, but the same happens, and my connection is not sync'ing at a lower speed.

This has happened for about 4 hours now, and have rebooted just to get this message online. Heres my current connection status:

System Up Time 00:20:03
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      LAN 10M/100M 6688 15395 0 700 6105 00:20:01
      WLAN 11M/54M/108M 5815 5272 0 3229 625 00:19:51

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5722 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49.0 db 30.8 db
      Noise Margin 5.3 db 10.9 db

TY for any help. uPnP and 108mb auto "fixes" have already been done, and it is plugged into the master socket, with no desire to start messing with wires. Anything else that could be done to help would be real nice while waiting on the tech 3 guys to call.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      What happened at 10 days is just a coincidence. You're on Max - there is no "training period".

You have quite a poor line: it is long(ish) and noisy. Most noise tends to be created on the home side of the circuit i.e. your extension wiring etc.

You're plugged into the master socket but that's doing nothing to isolate your internal wiring. Fit a filtered master faceplate. Takes 2 minutes and costs <15.

It will almost certainly help. If you want to test it first then unscrew and pull away the bottom of your mastersocket. You'll see it is actually plugged into what's called the "test" socket. Plug your router into that and you're bypassing your internal circuit - just as though you had a filtered faceplate.

I bet your connection speed will jump by at least 50% and connection drop outs will be far less.

Sky can't help you. You're probably wasting your time and theirs.
      Last edited by Saturday; 20-10-06 at 12:40 AM.

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      The best Sky will be able to do for you is cap your line so that it is more stable.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Yes they could do that but Dual's already at least 2meg slower than he/she should be. Knocking it down by another 2meg will make it half what it should be.

Far better to try and fix the problem not mask it? That should be a last resort.

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Yes that was my point, sorry I was not clearer

Dual is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the quick responses;
      At present, my parents are unwilling to pay out or do anything, seeing as its not their fault. I guess they will at most try unscrewing the master socket, and i will get back to you then

Thanks for the help.