Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Disconnections

This is a discussion on Disconnections within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Driving me round the twist! I get dis-connected at least 4 times a day when everything freezes and this page ...

Russdf1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: catford
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Disconnections

Driving me round the twist! I get dis-connected at least 4 times a day when everything freezes and this page cannot be displayed comes up, I type in 192.168.0.1 netgear homepage and find I have been dis-connected. normally have problems re-connecting untill I re-set the router sometimes that freezes and have to un plug from power is there any fix? is it the cr***y netgear router?
      I have never had these problems from any other broadband supplier but then I have always had option of buying my own modem so must assume it is the netgear rubbish and not sky.

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Bit of a long show but you could try the suggestion here in the second post if you haven't already done it of course:

Lose connection to router

Scrubbless is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Benfleet, Essex
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I had a similar problem but it was maybe only 2 DC's a day.

Try turning your router off at 7:30-8pm and then back on, since this is the time of the night that there is the most atmospehric noise.

It might make the disconnections less.

Also speak to Sky support (tier1-3) and ask them, what speed your line is capable of. I was on the Max package and recently was told by sky support that my line was only capable of a stable connection of 8mb.

Before they put any speed caps on your line, try disconnecting all your phones, and plugging your router (and only the router in the BT test socket)

See if this gives you OK speeds.

If it does, then you may want to invest in a new BT master face plate.

The Microfilters that come with the Router, route the Phone and ADSL signals, apparently they are not idea for noisy phone systems. A replacement face plate will seperate the Router and the Phones.
      http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/ca...products_id=90
      Last edited by Scrubbless; 20-10-06 at 01:30 PM.

Sky's The Limit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cured my disconnects

I was suffering the odd disconnect - up to perhaps 1 a day.

I used to have a 1mb BT Broadband connection that disconnected about 5 to 5 times a day (when my snr dropped below about 5db).

When switching to sky my 1mb speed became 2mb + however I would get the odd disconnect.

I found some 'information' on the 'tech forum' on here (password protected)and used info there up my average snr of 7.5db to 10.5db. This had the effect of lowering my connection speed to 1.5mb connection.

However, now when my snr drops by about 3db in the evenings instead of falling below 5db it now only falls to 7.5db and my connection has remained stable.

In effect I have capped by speed down from 2mb to 1.5mb, but I can live with that as I no longer suffer any disconnections at all !!

I have now had hundreds of hours of connection since making this tweak.

Trevor.
      " A man is as young as the woman he feels "