Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

very confused setup

This is a discussion on very confused setup within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; ive been on sky broadband a week now and can't get any of my wireless computers to work. i have ...

shane64 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy very confused setup

ive been on sky broadband a week now and can't get any of my wireless computers to work. i have one wired into a desktop, but have another desktop and a laptop for connection and cant work out how to do it.

my laptop shows a limited connection but can't acess the internet at all even though i have a good signal. i read somewhere that the ip address is getting sent wrong how can i change it. plus my wired in connection keeps cutting out, and i have to keep resetting the router so is there any fix?

2. Advertisement
      hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Hi Shane I have moved this to router forum, as you may get more response here.

shane64 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks... never had a problem before connecting to broadband why is sky such a pain?

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Ok - you've got two things going on here: no wireless connection and connection dropouts.

A few questions:

First can you confirm what IP your laptop has (probably the easiest way is to right click the connection icon in your system tray then select status then support). If it starts with 169 then that tells us it didn't get an IP from the router.

Next can I presume you've set the correct laptop wireless details for the router? They are written on the bottom of the router and on the card that came with it. Also that you've set security to WPA (not WEP).

Do you have a firewall running e.g McAfee which Sky supplied?

Please log into your router from your wired PC (enter 192.168.0.1 into your browser then admin as username and sky as password) and set wireless to auto 108. Also set UPnP to off.

Lastly please post your router stats. The key figures are downstream connection speed, attenuation and noise margin.
      Last edited by Saturday; 18-10-06 at 12:57 PM.