Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

What Routers Are Good?

This is a discussion on What Routers Are Good? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Okay so the Netgear 834G has a tarnished history whether in its netgear vanilla or sky clothes. My previous router ...

nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Paying more to get Unlimited so that I get the same service as the MID I signed up for
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

What Routers Are Good?

Okay so the Netgear 834G has a tarnished history whether in its netgear vanilla or sky clothes.

My previous router was/is a LinkSys WAG54G which after a bit of research today, I find is also a bit of a stinker.

I must admit I've never given routers much thought and assumed that if you stick with the big names like Netgear and LinkSys rather than 'rebadged stuff' then you won't go far wrong - obviously not entirely true!

Need wireless unfortunately - I'm getting the last PC off of wireless very soon but need to stick with wireless for the XBox 360, my works laptop and the Wii (Son's christmas present).

So the question is - what are considered to be the good routers at a reasonable price?

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Advertisement
      Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Please bare in mind that the Router Supplied by Sky is the only one that should be used with their service! using another router is breaching the T&C's of your agreement!

Also unless you know your username @ Password for your Sky Connection you wont beable to use another router anyway!

But yeah LinkSys are really good! But I had a Netgear one with Telewest and never had a problem!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Routers I have had:

USRobotics 9006 - awesome
      Netgear 834GT - Use currently - no real problems, however I am not on Sky

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Paying more to get Unlimited so that I get the same service as the MID I signed up for
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Please bare in mind that the Router Supplied by Sky is the only one that should be used with their service! using another router is breaching the T&C's of your agreement!
      Yep, aware of that.

As for routers, I don't think its a matter of identifying makes but models.

I think that both Netgear and LinkSys produce some good routers - they also are capable of producing lemons

Netgear DG834GT and LinkSys WAG54G are widely regarded (not just here) as not being too clever.

So I here lots of advice about what is bad but not so much on what is good - hence the post.

Cheers,

Nigel

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      I have never had any problems with the router supplied by Sky, before that I was using the Netgear 834G and without any problems.

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by nheather View Post
      Okay so the Netgear 834G has a tarnished history whether in its netgear vanilla or sky clothes.

My previous router was/is a LinkSys WAG54G which after a bit of research today, I find is also a bit of a stinker.
      The 834G and the 834GT are completely different routers with different chipsets.

Re the Linksys, what is you own personal experience of it? You say you're using it, but then say that others have said it's rubbish. My wife thinks my taste in music is rubbish - but she's wrong of course. I'm not asking to be picky, I am compiling a list of "known good" routers, which is available on the tech forum.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Jose Cardoso Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      I've been tinkering with NETGEAR's new DG834N. I must say it's quite a nice router if a little, well, big.

That said since upgrading my old 20" iMac G5 to a new 24" Intel 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo version I've had all sorts of wireless issues. The Sky router will only give me around 75KB/s download speeds and the DG834N around 400KB/s. A far cry from my old 1.5MB/s speeds before I upgraded. I'll be having a word with Apple later today about this.

To sum up, the new wireless chip in these iMacs (a Broadcom pre-N part) offers more comptaibility problems than any supposed future speed benefits.

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Jose Cardoso View Post
      I'll be having a word with Apple later today about this.
      Serves you right for using an etch-a-sketch.
      (Sorry, couldn't resist it ever since someone esle used that expression. It made me laugh then and it still makes me chuckle!)
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.