Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Some Advice Needed

This is a discussion on Some Advice Needed within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I live a fair distance from the exchange .... 3.6Kms 48dB down SNR Margin (4 - 8 dB depending on ...

nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Paying more to get Unlimited so that I get the same service as the MID I signed up for
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Some Advice Needed

I live a fair distance from the exchange ....

3.6Kms
      48dB down
      SNR Margin (4 - 8 dB depending on time of day)

Before moving to Sky I was on an IPStream MAxDSL service and this would adjust it's sync rate dynamically to suit the line conditions. So it was common to log into the router and find the sync rate different each time (typically in the range 6000 - 7200).

Now the LLU service seems to do things a little differently. It appears to be adaptive in that it sets the sync rate when the router initialises but rather than adapt it then retains this rate until the router is next rebooted.

With MaxDSL I used to 'see' a continual service although the sync rate was going up and down behind the scenes.

With LLU I see excellent performance until the SNR starts falling - then I see one of two things. Either a very sparodic and slow service which I guess is the result of failed TCP/IP packets or a complete disconnection from the Sky server (error code 300). The underlying ADSL connection remains and the router stays up and doesn't attempt to do anything automatically.

If I reboot the router at this stage it will usually connect at a lower sync rate and full service will be resumed.

Now the questions

(i) Is there anything I can do about this - can I ask Sky to cap my sync at a lower rate (sya 6000 or 6500)?

(ii) Can I configure the router to resync if it is experiencing a low SNR margin or lots of failed packets?

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Advertisement
      moshady is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      (i) Yes

(ii) The Sky Netgear router appears to have a problem with Seamless Rate Adaption as many people frequenting this forum have found. There are various temporary (e.g. SNR tweak, or resyncing when the SNR is at its lowest) or permanent (use another router) solutions, all discussed in the Tech Talk forum on here.

nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Paying more to get Unlimited so that I get the same service as the MID I signed up for
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

moshady

Thanks for the quick response. So it's the router rather than the LLU architecture which is stopping the rate adapting?

So theoretically (because you must use the Sky router) if I could use a different router (that doesn't have this problem) then the LLU connection would be rate adaptive?

Cheers,

Nigel

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      That's seems to be the case. Other routers don't seem to have a problem adapting - though of course this breaks your T's & C's of connection.

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      If I might be so bold, moshady, as to add to your point. It is certainly true that other routers are "more stable" on Sky BB than the dg834gt and that SRA doesn't work properly on the dg834gt connecting to Sky, it may not be purely because of SRA. The reason is that SRA requires a number of factors to work properly: the ADSL chipset, the firmware, the ISP equipment and to a certain extent the SRA protocol itself (or the newness of it). From my own investigations, it seems that the signal drops seen with the sky router are less pronounced on other routers, but I have yet to receive firm confirmation that SRA then kicks in and stabilises things up. It may be that, for example, other routers simply cope better with noise despite SRA.

OK, it may be a "nit-pick", but probably worth saying just so that your expectations aren't set too high. Also, as moshady says, using another router is breach of contract and so is not condoned.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by mossywell View Post
      Also, as moshady says, using another router is breach of contract and so is not condoned.
      But boy does it stabilise a previously dodgy connection

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.