Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Frequant loss of connection

This is a discussion on Frequant loss of connection within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; My BB is working well - Horray! However my father in law lives around the corner, he connected during the ...

darylt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bracknell
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Frequant loss of connection

My BB is working well - Horray!

However my father in law lives around the corner, he connected during the same week as me and is connected to the same exchange, however his connection keeps dropping.

All the lights are on but emails will not download or internet will not be available.

He is connected by ethernet, and can only regain his connection by rebooting using the pen in the back of the router or by using the repair function on the connection icon.

Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      GPKing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aylesbury
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      How about swapping your router with your father in law's one and see if he still has the same problem? If he doesn't then it is obviously a fault with his router.

The DG834GT have a history of problems with dropping the connection. I for one would be very interested to hear how you get on.

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Make sure you are getting a good signal strength between the router and the wireless card. A weak signal or signal that is interrupted may cause the link to drop

nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Paying more to get Unlimited so that I get the same service as the MID I signed up for
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      The DG834GT have a history of problems with dropping the connection
      You need to clear about whether you are talking about the WLAN (wirelss) or the WAN (ADSL).

It is true that the router has a history of dropping wireless connection between it and the PC.

But if it is dropping the WAN (ADSL) connection between the router and the excahnge then it is more likely to be a line quality problem.

Cheers,

Nigel

GPKing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aylesbury
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      @nigel

I dont think that the problems are just with the wireless dropping out. Looking at some of the reported problems (over time) it seems that a lot of people also experience WAN dropout (me included).

I really hope that darylt will try out my suggestion. If his father in law does not experience dropouts with daryl's router and then experiences them again when switching back to his router, then it will go a long way in proving many people's concerns (ie the quality of the router).

On the other hand, if neither router solves the problem then it may go a long way in shutting some people up - especially me!!!!

Regards
      Gary

nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Paying more to get Unlimited so that I get the same service as the MID I signed up for
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      @GPKing

Actually, following some research I've been doing on another niggle and assuming that 2 and 2 do indeed make 4, I think I may have got to the bottom of some of the problems.

Before Sky, I was on an IPStream DSLMax service using a LinkSys router.

My line quality is mediocre ...

Atten = 48dB
      SN Margin = 4 to 8dB
      Distance = 3.6Km
      Sync = 6000 to 7000

On DSLMax, the router would adapt to poor lines - i.e. if my SN dropped then the router would lower the sync rate automatically to get it back up to target.

I've noticed that with Sky this does not happen. The sync rate is sort of adaptive but only appears to set when the router is started.

If the SN then drops the router keeps the same sync rate. Initially this causes failed TCP/IP packets so you get slow or sparodic browsing. If it gets too bad then the router losing connection with the Sky server and you get Error Code 300. Regardless the router has an underlying ADSL connection which it maintains. If you then reset the router it will re-sync at a lower rate connect to Sky and allow error free browsing.

Now a poster here has suggested that Sky LLU should be behaving exactly like IPStream MaxDSL - that is it should be adapting connection rate transparently as SN goes up and down. He suggests that the netgear router is not very good at doing this, which is why you get the slow downs (packet errors) or the server disconnections (error code 300). He suggests that other routers don't have this problem.

I'm going to try with my LinkSys and see if the rate changes with SN - I'll report my findings back here.

Cheers,

Nigel

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info guys (all though I'm not fully sure that I understood the last post! )

I will try swapping the routers over and see what happens.

Techno is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by darylt View Post
      Thanks for the info guys (all though I'm not fully sure that I understood the last post! )

I will try swapping the routers over and see what happens.
      Did you get anywhere with this mate?

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Before I swapped the router I did some investigating with regard to the PC.

It had been set to hybernate if not used after 15mins. I disabled this feature and have had no problems since!

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darylt View Post
      Before I swapped the router I did some investigating with regard to the PC.

It had been set to hybernate if not used after 15mins. I disabled this feature and have had no problems since!
      This worked for a couple of days, but now his connection is dropping out three or four times aday. I have tried the fix of changing the MTU settings with no difference.

So I will try swaping the routers over this weekend and see what happens

I will post again on Monday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast