Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Configure spare Sagem FAST 2504n as an additional access point

This is a discussion on Configure spare Sagem FAST 2504n as an additional access point within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, Managed to configure a spare Sky Router as a secondary WiFi access / 3-port 'hub'. As I've seen ...

carl.starbuck is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Castleford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Configure spare Sagem FAST 2504n as an additional access point

Hi all,

Managed to configure a spare Sky Router as a secondary WiFi access / 3-port 'hub'. As I've seen this asked before I thought I'd post.

Scenario: I went 'sky fibre' earlier in the year, which meant I got a new Sky router and decommissioned my old one. The BT box, phone socket, primary Sky Sagem router and main PC live in our 'office' on the ground floor, whilst my Samsung SMART TV, Sky+HD box, XBox and Samsung internet-enabled blu-ray live in the lounge at the other end of a nice sized 4-bed house. Suffice to say that WiFi in the lounge drops broadband measured speeds to a fraction of the 38Mbps I get in the office - typically circa 4Mbps due to the distance and angles of walls and corners between the locations.

Method: Used a pair of powerline network plugs to take a 200Mb link to the socket at the back of the telly. Configured my spare Sky router in that location as follows: DHCP Off (leaving primary router as DHCP), patch lead from powerline into port 1 of secondary router. Sky WiFi ID suffixed with an 'a' to differentiate between the 2. Password set to the same as the other router for ease of use. IP address of secondary router changed to 192.168.0.100 to avoid IP clash with primary router. Connected TV, Sky Box and Xbox to secondary router via patch leads.

Job done. Powering up the devices saw them all come online, with DHCP handled by the primary router.

Positives:
      • Bandwidth-critical devices have wired connection to broadband
      • Great experience of on-demand content - even HD is without stutter now.
      • WiFi capacity freed up for iPad, iPhones and laptop
      • WiFi / broadband speed in lounge now much better
      • 2 distinct WiFi zones to choose from based on signal strength
      • Found a use for redundant kit!

Negatives:

• A bit of extra cable to tidy at the back of the TV!
      • A bit of extra power consumption with the second router.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: Configure spare Sagem FAST 2504n as an additional access point

Hi Carl,

We have another guide to help people connect a spare router to their Sky router:

How to connect two Routers together

Also, just in case some people have a problem, some members have found that the Sagem 2504N needs to be connected to a live Internet connection in order to retain any new settings.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms