Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Linking the Sky Fibre router to an older Sky router to increase Wifi range

This is a discussion on Linking the Sky Fibre router to an older Sky router to increase Wifi range within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Scubbie asked me to open a new thread here rather than adding to the existing "link two routers together" thread ...

mikelane is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pinner
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Linking the Sky Fibre router to an older Sky router to increase Wifi range

Scubbie asked me to open a new thread here rather than adding to the existing "link two routers together" thread so here goes.

I have recently had Sky Fibre installed but the wifi signal to our kitchen is not too good. So, decided to connect up the old
      Sagemcom F@ST2304 to the new Sagemcom F@ST2504n. I had to modify Scubbie's instructions slightly but have modified the ip address on the old one and turned off DHCP. I also changed channels. Now, I can access the old router (which is connected via ehernet cable to the new one) in the kitchen with my iPad and get superfast internet access. However, the iPad cannot connect to the new fibre router at all now (but at least can access the old router in other rooms). For the moment, I have turned wireless off on the new router but wonder if someone can advise a way of having it work.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Linking the Sky Fibre router to an older Sky router to increase Wifi range

When you say it cannot connect, can you see it? Does it appear on the list of available networks? If it does what happens when you try to connect?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Yes, the iPad can see the network but when trying to connect, comes up with the message "Unable to join the network W*****". Furthermore, when I look at the properties of the network on the iPad, the IP Address etc. are all blank apart from the DNS.

Thanks

I thought that it was sorted now, Access Control was ticked on the main router. But now, lost access to the old router!

Thanks

when I look at the properties of the network on the iPad, the IP Address etc. are all blank apart from the DNS.
      Could I suggest that you input the network manually for the router you can't connect to. Make it exactly the same as the router which is connecting. I am suggesting this as my iPad connects to two routers and the network details for both are identical. I am assuming that the network key for both routers is the same, mine is. SSID and channels are different.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Interestingly, I just fired up my old Sky Netgear router (this had previously failed to hook up to the internet but the wireless still works). Without any adjustments to ip address this seems to work perfectly with the iPad switching between the two devices when one has the stronger signal.

So, I am happy now.

Thanks

If you didn't change the default address of the Netgear, I am surprised you are not getting IP conflicts.

TomD

Useful Utilites