Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No Network adapter.

This is a discussion on No Network adapter. within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I am trying to help my daughter who has Sky Broadband. Three weeks ago her connection dropped completely. Her husbands ...

Dreamer12 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

No Network adapter.

I am trying to help my daughter who has Sky Broadband. Three weeks ago her connection dropped completely. Her husbands Laptop however was still connecting just fine. After a lengthy discussion with a Sky help representative she was still unable to connect. Their Sky TV and phones are working correctly. A new Router has not solved the problem and replacement cables and phone filters have made no difference.

The PC is running Windows XP. My one concern is that there is not a Net Adapter in the network adapters (Device manager) On my own XP there is.
      I copied and saved mine but her windows system file has one. I can download from Realtek and save the file but how do I install it.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: No Network adapter.

Is there an adapter found under 'other devices' in device manager? Yellow exclamation mark beside it?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,217 Times in 2,086 Posts

Check whether the network adaptor is on the motherboard or an expansion card first.

Assuming that the computer is identical to your own, you could copy those drivers to a CD and then install them on your Daughter's computer. However there should be something listed, even if to say that a device has been found, but no drivers for it are available.

If the adaptor is a card, check that it has been seated correctly. You may benefit from delicately hoovering the inside of the computer or blowing compressed air inside (make sure that is is dry air, some canned air has chemicals which could be an issue).

The card could have failed, in which case you are looking at around 5-10 for a replacement.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It would be unusual for a PC/Laptop not to have a LAN network adapter. In the case of PCs it would be unusual to find a wireless adapter included in the original spec, almost all laptops have a built in wireless adapter as well as a LAN one.

If you have a network port on the rear and it is not showing in the Network adapter list in the Device Manager the chances are it has not been enabled in the BIOS. Go into the BIOS and check. It is usually in something like PnP/PCI Configuration but it depends on the BIOS maker. How you get into the BIOS depends on your machine, but it is usually by tapping Del or F2 as soon as you press the Start button.

If it has not been enabled you might find you need to install drivers when you do enable it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Dreamer12 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thank you all very much for your very help full input. I have asked my daughter to let me have her tower for a couple of days, it's not easy trying to sort a problem with small children around. I have considered that the network card may need replacing. No yellow exclamation marks, that was my first thought. I have limited experience of the Bios but its time I learned how lol. In a couple of days I will post my findings.