Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Home Network Advice - Increasing number of Cabled connections

This is a discussion on Home Network Advice - Increasing number of Cabled connections within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi All I am looking at options to increase the number of cabled connections to the Sky router, as it ...

zanic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Home Network Advice - Increasing number of Cabled connections

Hi All

I am looking at options to increase the number of cabled connections to the Sky router, as it stands the D-link router provides 4 cabled outputs. I prefer cabled connections where possible and have the desire to cable all of the following gadgets:

Gaming PC1
      Gaming PC2
      Gaming PC3
      Home Theatre PC
      Xbox 360
      PS3
      Sky Box

All other gadgets, iphone, laptops etc are fine to connect wirelessly.

As you can see the number of ports required exceeds the 4 on the d-link router, what would be the best way to go about increasing this?

FYI ; I currently have an old d-link router....

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Home Network Advice - Increasing number of Cabled connections

Simple and quick answer (without going into the details of where all your devices and your router are located!) would probably be to buy an 8 port switch. Connect all your devices to the ports on the switch via ethernet cable. Connect your router to a port on the switch also via ethernet cable. Voila!

(PS. There may be a home networking guide on here somewhere actually, in the meantime there's this one:
      http://www.home-network-help.com/network-switch.html and
      http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/...etworking.html)
      Scubbie likes this.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Exchange:
      Thanks

I thought this would be the case. My initial thought was to connect 3 devices to the Sky router. Then connect the final port to the switch. Then the remaining ports on the switch will be for the remaining devices.

Can you provide advice on what 5 or 8 port switch to get, that is reliable and cost effective. Additionally what networking cable would you recommend to get the best? Bearing in mind I will have a HTPC connected to the switch and a PC connected the sky router, and the PC will stream to the HTPC...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

The choice of Network Switch should be yours. They tend to be quite reliable and last for several years and they require very little intervention from outside. One Switch I bought a few years ago is still working happily. A friend has it now as I've replaced it with a pair of 1Gbit switches.

Consider carefully whether you want to get a 5-Port or 8-Port switch and also whether you want one that supports up to 100mb/s connection speeds or one that will support up to 1Gbit connection speeds.

Prices can easily vary from around 5 for a 100mb 5-Port switch up to around 30 or an 8-Port switch that supports a 1Gbit connection. Of course you can always pay more.

As for cabling, use a straight Cat 5e Ethernet cable to link between the Switch and the router. If you want a little extra comfort, consider a shielded Cat 6 cable, but this is primarily to reduce the electrical interference, not to improve the speed.

At the moment you router only supports a 100mb LAN, but in the next few years you could find yourself using a 1Gbit router as Internet connection speeds go above 100mb/s and demand for faster devices on your home network increase.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Cost wise these are probably your best bet

TP-Link TL-SG1005D 5-Port Desktop Gigabit Switch

Reviews | TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-Port Desktop Gigabit Switch (TL-SG1008D)

This one is supposed to be optimised for gaming and HD, which might be good for your HTPC and games consoles.

Netgear GS605AV 5-Port Home Theatre & Gaming Network Gigabit Switch
      speedyrite likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Mmm, that Netgear GS605AV looks very nice. I can recommend Netgear kit - just recently got the GS608 switch (8 port Gigabit) to increase the number of ports at the router (due to the Sky F@st2504n router - fibre version - naughtily pinching one of the LAN ports to provide the WAN connection )
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice all, much appreciated.

With regards to network, I am looking at ensuring the network sharing is as fast as possible and I am happy that the Netgear GS605AV Gigabit Switch can provide that.

I have attached my network diagram for reference, the outstanding items before I go ahead with this project is:

1. Network Cable - Cat5e or Cat6, do you have an recommended places of purchase? Looking for 30m. 10-15m between switch and router and 10-15m between router and Gaming PC2.
      2. Before reading this forum I did not realise that the d-link router I have is actually outdated. Should I be looking to pay Sky 35 to upgrade that?

Any other words of advice?
      Attached Files Attached Files

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

At the present time it won't make much difference whether you use Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable. Both support a 1Gbit connection up to a distance of 100m. The main considerations which you may wish to think about are whether the cable is to run outside, in which case you should use cable specifically made for external usage or whether the cable will run close to other electronic equipment where there is potential for interference from the cable or to the signals in the cable. To reduce the potential for interference, consider shield cable.

Cat 6 cable is able to support speeds up to 10Gbit. Currently there aren't any mainstream routers in the UK market which will run at this speed.

As for the router, this really depends on your intentions. Should you be thinking about getting SFU or SFUP soon then I would advise against replacing your D-Link router as you'll be supplied a new one anyway.

If you want to take advantage of a faster WiFi and close a blackspot for coverage, consider a WiFi access point which can work at up to 300mbps and perhaps even use both 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels. The Sagem 2504N will connect at the same speed (more or less) as the D-Link. It has the same LAN speed (100mb).

It is only the WiFi which is significantly different. The D-Link is a WiFi g router with a maximum connection speed of 54mbps and a short range when compared with a WiFi n router. The Sagem 2504N has a better signal than the D-Link. It also has a maximum connection speed of 144mbps. 35 certainly represents good value for money. There are better options though.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Are you really on Everyday Lite? With 5 gaming machines plus the Sky box you should be considering going for Fibre, especially if all of them are on line together.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Mmm, that Netgear GS605AV looks very nice. I can recommend Netgear kit - just recently got the GS608 switch (8 port Gigabit) to increase the number of ports at the router (due to the Sky F@st2504n router - fibre version - naughtily pinching one of the LAN ports to provide the WAN connection )
      That netgear switch is twice the price of tp-link one and does exactly the same thing with the same spec.

As for the op's network setup, make sure the streaming PC and the HTPC are both connected to the switch to make the connection as fast as possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast