Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By rab50

g or n router

This is a discussion on g or n router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; i have a sagem f@st router g. i live in a normal sized 3 bedroom house, new build. my signal ...

rab50 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

g or n router

i have a sagem f@st router g. i live in a normal sized 3 bedroom house, new build. my signal is not strong enough to cover all parts of the house. would upgrading to n router help or would i be better switching to bt for their supposedly superior router. i am getting by by using a signal extender at the moment but is a bit intermitent as well and no use for running upstairs ps3 and downstairs one at same time. the sky helpline said it might be the insulation between floors blocking the signal??? my download speed is only 2.5g and upload .5 i am 2.7 miles from exchange.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: g or n router

Don't believe all BT say about their superior router, Sky's latest 2504N is just as fast and will cover a similar area. If you wished you could buy your own router and use that, but it is possible our exchange will switch over to MER only in the future. To date no one has managed to connect using MER with 100% success, so it would be a risk.

Remember if if you get an N router you will have to upgrade your adapters to get the full benefit.

You might want to consider buying some homeplugs, these are especially good for connecting games consoles, giving you a far better connection than wireless. This gives you an idea what they are and what they can do - Homeplug | Broadbandbuyer.co.uk

Welcome to the forum

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Any router will have problems in some homes.

I took my DGND3700 with me over Christmas to a friend's house. She has a stone chimney in the middle of the house. The router was sat in the wrong corner to where you were sat. I was able to connect at around 100mb/s (on a 300mb/s router), yet was only 4-5 metres from the router.

You could purchase your own router and use this instead of the Sky router, or you could contact Sky and get the Sagem 2504N.

With regard to the other WiFi point, Tom has suggested a pair of HomePlugs. What you could do would be to connect a WiFi N Access Point and set up the WiFi the same on both the router and the Access Point. This should allow you to wander around your home with a laptop, for example. As for the PS/3, it would be best to connect it via the HomePlug. Weak WiFi tends to affect gaming in a negative way.

If your electrical wiring is poor, consider running an Ethernet cable behind the walls as the HomePlugs may not work well.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

thx for replies. the electrical wiring is no problem (its a new build.) i tried homeplugs but couldn't get them to work and got refund. (might try again with a little more research) liked the part in isitmes link "installation? childsplay" lol, doesn't say much for my know how. might be better to try again rather than upgrading router,adapters with no guarantee that it will improve signal strength.

Thanks

If you are going to try homeplugs I would recommend Solwise, they are quite cheap and have excellent support plus a very good forum. Solwise Forum Cost would be about the same as a middle range router which as you say, may be no better than the one you have.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

this is the layout. bedroom1. router with Ethernet to ps3. bedroom2. desktop pc with wireless adapter. (signal excellent). downstairs living room. smart tv and ps3. laptop getting signal from signal extender, signal sometimes strong enough for ps3. am i right thinking i need 2 homeplugs, 1 to connect to router,leave ethernet from router to ps3. leave desktop with wireless adapter. homeplug downstairs to switch between ps3 and smart tv as needed.

Thanks

You need at least 2 homeplugs, although you can add more if they are required. The 'receiver' can be a single port type, or with a built in switch, or wireless with an ethernet port, whatever suits your purpose best.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

took your advice and bought solwise homeplugs. said on the box they were plug and play, was pleased to find they really were! connected to each other as soon as they were plugged in. now have smart tv and ps3 with netflix streaming hd content without buffering. thanks for your help. sorry for taking so long to reply, been decorating.
      Scubbie likes this.