Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Port Forwarding help

This is a discussion on Port Forwarding help within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I managed to sort out all of my port forwarding with PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or ...

The Craig is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Giffnock
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Port Forwarding help

I managed to sort out all of my port forwarding with PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall it's quite a helpful site when it comes to this kind of stuff.
      Sky Broadband Opinion? -- Excellent.
      Sky Broadband Uptime? -- Flawless.
      Sky Broadband Speed? -- Perfect.

Sky Broadband.. It rocks the socks.

2. Advertisement
      Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Yep! Portfoward is very useful! Has most if not all routers! And most of the apps they have in their database!

JonJ27 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01625
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

HI ..

I am having the same problem... I am trying to route port 9080 via the router to my internal IP address. I have created a new service in the router config home page.. and added it inwards and outwards..

I saw the note about the firmware requiring an upgrade but the version that the router reckons it has is later than anything i can download from Netgear..

Please help...

Flaggy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I think I have read and followed just about every bit of information on port forwarding on the sky router. After many hours of banging my head against the wall I have finally given up and gone back to my old linksys which worked flawlessly with my old ISP.
      Eureka. as soon as I connected it the port I needed to forward was forwarded once more.
      I've used Netgear routers before and must admit I was not over impressed, but at least they worked. I don't think sky have done it's users or Netgear any favours with their firmware version. I think they would have been much better off providing a standard unmodified router.
      Thanks for all the info but it didn't help me. You did help me extract the username & password, for that thanks.

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@Flaggy. Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry to see that you had no luck with port forwarding - I can assure you that it works extremely well. One option might be to post your problem here (in a new post rather than this one) and we might be able to help fix it because the port forwarding functionality is unrelated to the changes that Sky made to the firmware - so even with a native firmware, you would have had the same problems I suspect.

@JonJ27 - you don't need to add it to the outbound rules because all traffic outbound is allowed already. I suggest removing it and giving it a go again. Also bear in mind any PC-based firewalls that you have running.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

silbylaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stony Stratford
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      This link gives the following....Invalid Page Specified

tcrooks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: PEVENSEY
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Re: Port Forwarding help

Quote Originally Posted by Flaggy View Post
      I think I have read and followed just about every bit of information on port forwarding on the sky router. After many hours of banging my head against the wall I have finally given up
      As a newbie to this forum, I've followed this thread carefully but obviously not enough to get what I want resolved. Before Sky I was hosting a web site on my Mac, OS 10.4.9, using a Linksys WAG354G and port forwarding. No problems. I had several other systems both WinXP and OS X also connected wirelessly with the Linksys.

Come Sky activation I had thought this will be easy - select an HTTP Port 80 service and forward to the Mac acting as a server (192.168.0.n). But no joy when trying to access the web site using the domain name as it displays a panel asking for the router user id and password. Must be something else to be done but for the life of me I just cannot see what it can be.

Is it me? Something hidden I should be aware of? Misread all the threads on port forwarding problems? Some dastardly deed by Sky? Shouldn't it be a doddle?

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Is it me? Something hidden I should be aware of? Misread all the threads on port forwarding problems? Some dastardly deed by Sky? Shouldn't it be a doddle?
      Have you done the setting up of the Dynamic DNS?

In your router, under the advanced section on the left.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Re: Port Forwarding help

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Have you done the setting up of the Dynamic DNS?

In your router, under the advanced section on the left.
      Yeah I did that and waited for 48 hours in case it was slow updating. No joy. That wasn't needed on the Linksys router and it makes me wonder if Netgear works to a different set of rules?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Re: Port Forwarding help

Quote Originally Posted by tcrooks View Post
      it makes me wonder if Netgear works to a different set of rules?
      Thanks for all the help so far. I've spent hours wading through other forums, especially Netgear's own, and as a result of all this and trying my best to get port 80 forwarded to enable hosting of a web site I've been unsuccessful. In every effort to enable port forwarding for port 80 I've checked using ShieldsUP! at http://www.grc.com/default.htm and the check consistently shows port 80 isn't open.

In fact when you set up a firewall rule that supposedly opens all ports only port 139 is opened.

So what conclusions can be drawn;

1. The firmware for the Sky version of the DG834GT is crippled for port forwarding. This may be to discourage high usage.
      2. I have a duff router/firmware and need to replace one/both items
      3. Netgear's implementation uPnP is dodgy
      4. Netgear firmware is crap

I'm inclined to the last as there are plenty of non-Sky users of the DG384GT who have had trouble with port forwarding as well as users of other Netgear routers, but could be convinced otherwise.

It would help if those who have had problems with port forwarding also checked using ShieldsUP! and reported back on their experience. Maybe enough evidence would be accumulated to get a decent version of the firmware?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)