Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wirelessly Connecting to Sky Broadband

This is a discussion on Wirelessly Connecting to Sky Broadband within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, i'm having a few problems tring to get my laptop to connect onto the Sky Broadband, which is ...

cleebs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wirelessly Connecting to Sky Broadband

Hi all,

i'm having a few problems tring to get my laptop to connect onto the Sky Broadband, which is connected to my desktop.

The internet works perfectly fine with my desktop, but when i go to connect to the wireless network on my laptop, it will only connect with limited or no connectivity.
      I only got Sky broadband installed today, and first of all, i could connect with my laptop, and get onto different web pages, but it would not work on the desktop. i phoned the techncial support number, and they sorted it out ok by putting a defult gateway number in, or something like that. but when i went back to go on my laptop, it would not connect to its full capability, and it is really frustrating.

does anyone have any ideas on what to do to get my laptop to connect with it once again?

I have phoned the technical support helpline twice now, but my phone keeps cutting out before they can rectify it.

Cheers for any help received.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Have you tried going into the router login and then changing the wireless to Auto108?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

just tried that, but it didn't make any difference.
      i have gone into th details for it, and it tells me that "This problem occurred becuase the network did not assign a network address to the computer".

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

hi

had same problem [still get it every few days]when u view ur availiable network/rite click /properties then highlite tcp/icp then properties properties and make sure that it is automatically looking for address [mine reverts to manual instead of auto [no idea why]disable your wireless network then re enable and see if this works [if not try a router reboot and disable /enable routine [usually fixes the problem [also check windows firewall aint blocking it [i turn windows firewall off as i have outpost and it's way better ].hope this helps

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site cleebs

Have you tried to to see if there are any updated drivers for your laptops wireless card, if not that could fix the problem.

Moved to the correct forum
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

cheers for the tips, unfortunately my laptop stays on automatically search etc. all the time, it doesn't revert to manual. all of my firewalls etc. are off as well.

Getting a bit frustrating now, the technical support dont know whats up with it either! especially as it was working fine earlier, and stopped once we fixed the desktop.

Sealslapa is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rochdale
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by cleebs View Post
      just tried that, but it didn't make any difference.
      i have gone into th details for it, and it tells me that "This problem occurred becuase the network did not assign a network address to the computer".
      Have u tried:

click on start, run, services.msc
      look for DHCP client.... if it sess acquiring network address that means that the dhcp client is DISABLED OR STOPTED... highlight the DHCP client and on the left side you will see "START" the service, click on it and then it will say "STOP, RESTART" then double click on the service and on the startup type select automatic, apply

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the welcome!

i dont think that the card needs updating, as it was working this morning perfectly. it was only when i spoke to sky's technical support in order to fix the problem with our desktop that the internet stopped working on my laptop.

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

sorry

sorry that didnt work ,have you tried to set up sky on your lappie with the ethernet cable [full instal on laptop and does that work?

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sealslapa View Post
      Have u tried:

click on start, run, services.msc
      look for DHCP client.... if it sess acquiring network address that means that the dhcp client is DISABLED OR STOPTED... highlight the DHCP client and on the left side you will see "START" the service, click on it and then it will say "STOP, RESTART" then double click on the service and on the startup type select automatic, apply
      just looked at the DHCP Client, and it was already started, and on automatic. thanks for the tip though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast