Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wirelessly Connecting to Sky Broadband

This is a discussion on Wirelessly Connecting to Sky Broadband within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; @cleebs Thats interesting then its possible you have changed a setting in the router can you tell us what sky's ...

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      @cleebs

Thats interesting then its possible you have changed a setting in the router can you tell us what sky's technical support asked you to do ?
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

2. Advertisement
      cleebs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dtr42 View Post
      sorry that didnt work ,have you tried to set up sky on your lappie with the ethernet cable [full instal on laptop and does that work?
      i will try that in a mo. at the moment, the set top box is connected to the desktop with the ethernet cable in that, do you reckon it will work if i connect the ethernet cable into the laptop and run the sky broadband software then?

Sealslapa is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rochdale
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by dtr42 View Post
      sorry that didnt work ,have you tried to set up sky on your lappie with the ethernet cable [full instal on laptop and does that work?

Releasing and Renewing an IP address on Windows XP
      Click the Start menu in the lower left hand part of the screen.
      Click Run.
      In the space provided type "ipconfig /release" (without") and click OK. Note that there is a space between ipconfig and the /release.
      Type "ipconfig /renew". Note that there is a space between ipconfig and the /renew.

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

when

when i first setup my desktop it was ok [ethernet]i then went wireless on desktop again ok
      on laptop i tried to go wireless first, got the connected icon right away but no internet access so rebooted sky disc used ethernet first then wireless [i had to change manual to auto [u dont from p post]and it worked [still need to reboot router every few days [dont know if its router glitch or pc

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
      @cleebs

Thats interesting then its possible you have changed a setting in the router can you tell us what sky's technical support asked you to do ?
      i cant remember exactly, as they sort of sent me round the houses looking at various bits and bobs and putting numbers in the address bar etc. but i think what fixed it for the desktop was putting in a default gateway number on network connections/local area connection/properties/TCP/IP properties/ Use the following IP Address, and the putting in a default gateway of 192.168.0.1

After we did that, we were able to connect to internet pages on the desktop, but when i went back to my laptop, the connection was lost, and gave me a limited connectivity, and i could not get onto any web pages which i could do before.

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by cleebs View Post
      i will try that in a mo. at the moment, the set top box is connected to the desktop with the ethernet cable in that, do you reckon it will work if i connect the ethernet cable into the laptop and run the sky broadband software then?
      hope so as it did for me lol

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Fixed It!!

Hi All,

Thank you for the many replies and help i have received.

Seems that it was a simple resetting of the router was all that was required to give me access to the internet on both my laptop and desktop - i feel a little bit of a pillock now for not trying that earlier!

Thanks for averyone who suggested that.

Cleebs

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      network connections/local area connection/properties/TCP/IP properties/ Use the following IP Address, and the putting in a default gateway of 192.168.0.1
      What OS are you using ?
      You shouldn't have to put the anything in the TCP/IP settings the router should be telling your network adapter all it needs to know, it sounds as though the settings in the router have either been changed or have become corrupted.

Have you made any changes in the router at all ? if not try and do a factory reset, a little hole on the back press for 10 seconds all lights should then go out and return when the router is rebooting.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

fly4fun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Same Problem

I've got the same problems as the OP.

After finally getting everything sorted with my line, I tried to connect my laptop wirelessly. No joy.

I've got a Netgear WG511T card in my XPpro running latptop. It can see my router and about another 10 or so in the vicinity. But when ever I open up IE or Firfox it won't connect. I plug the cable back into the laptop and it sees everything ok.

HELP!!!
      Protect the environment - stop having children.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12