Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Setup Netgear DGN2000 as wifi extender

This is a discussion on Setup Netgear DGN2000 as wifi extender within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; New to Sky broadband and have been supplied with a Sagem router. The wireless range is limited and I want ...

tamdhu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stirling
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Setup Netgear DGN2000 as wifi extender

New to Sky broadband and have been supplied with a Sagem router. The wireless range is limited and I want to setup my Netgear DGN2000 as an extender. does anyone know how to do this??

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Setup Netgear DGN2000 as wifi extender

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for the links. Tried but unsuccessful. One problem was entering MAC address from Sagem router comes up with "invalid MAC address"!! Now stumped.

Thanks

Where are you entering the MAC address? There is no need for this. Basically, go into the DGN's settings deselect Use as DHCP server. Set the Wireless security to highest available. and change the IP address from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254. Disconnect from your PC and plug the DGN into your Sky router, using any of the ethernet ports. It is probably better to disable the wireless in the Sky router, at least until you have the DGN working properly. Remember you must use an Ethernet port in the DGN, plugging into the internet port will not work. Check you are connecting to the Sky router by plugging an ethernet cable into your PC and the DGN. You should have internet access. Disconnect the ethernet cable and check you have a wireless connection. Note that you may have to reboot your PC to enable a wireless connection, but this is not always necessary.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Many thanks for your reply "Isitme". The Mac address came from Netgear support staff but this did not work. I tried your recommendation and bingo! - well almost. It works without security but when the security setting is changed to match the Sky router it broadcasts the SSID as NETGEAR (the setting on the DGN2000) but does not extend the wifi range or connect to the internet. Your thoughts would really be appreciated. Should the SSID on the Netgear be the same as the Sagem?

Thanks

Just to clear one thing up, you are not trying to connect the DGN2000 to the Sky router by wireless are you? This is not usually possible unless the router is capable of WDS, ie, it has some sort of 'bridging mode'. I have had a quick look at the Manual and it does not appear to support this, at least with the standard firmware. I am not 100% sure but I think the DGTeam firmware will, it is still available here -
      http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/netgear/

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Yes I am trying to set up as wireless extender. This, according to Netgear's support team, can be done hence the use of the Sagem's mac address. It was interesting that when I tried to use the mac address on the Sagem router it came up as "invalid mac address".

However, I think that it's going to be back to Netgear support or buy the Netgear WN300RP Wireless extender in the hope that that will work because previously it's been easy to set up.

Anyway thanks for trying to help.

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Why not get the username/password details from the Sagem & use the DGN2000 as the main router?

With custom firmware on the DGN2000 you can lower your SNRM & get more speed as well.