Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Does something happen at about 5am to cause dropouts?

This is a discussion on Does something happen at about 5am to cause dropouts? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; HI all I had originally had problems and after a few days got a fairly stable connection by trying the ...

tripodjw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Beeston
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Does something happen at about 5am to cause dropouts?

HI all

I had originally had problems and after a few days got a fairly stable connection by trying the reboot fix from dingdong during the 7-10pm slot. We then got the odd drop out during the night after we had gone to bed circa 10pm (maybe one drop a week).

About a week ago we had the electricity off to change some light switches and now i cannot get my router to stabilise. The connection is stable through the evening, even at a NM of about 7db. However i get up in the morning and every day but one the router isn't online in the morning.

Checking the logs, it appears that the log starts at just about 5am every morning if i've lost my connection, whereas if the connection is held overnight the log goes back to the previous 5am "reboot". The text of the log then just says
      Initialize LCP.
      LCP is allowed to come up.

over and over pretty much at 1 minute intervals.

Obviously i reboot from the router menus, but then i get a high sync, so have to reboot in the early evening.

The obvious question is is it my electricity - but all my other appliances are retaining their programming/times, including a dvd recorder sharing the same surge-protector as the router.

I have previously troubleshooted my internal phone wiring, and i get an almost identical sync (about 1% drop) and NM (within 0.3db every time) in the current position as at the test socket.

Does anyone have any ideas of what migh be causing the dropout? I had a stable connection at one time which s what is annoying me.

Current stats are (but this is just after a morning reboot):

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5481 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 54.5 db 35.7 db
      Noise Margin 7.6 db 11.0 db

In the evening i get it to sync at downstream of about 3500-4000 kbps at a noisemargin in the 7db range, and this is stable all through the 7-10 slot.

When i spoke to sky their only suggestion was to downgrade me to the mid package, but i want the unlimiited downloads, as i download a lot of game demos (on xbox live and pc)

Any help gratefully received

2. Advertisement
      fixer2035 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      What time is your boiler/heating coming on? I know BT have had problems with things like street lighting causing interference on telephone line that have cause probs with ADSL so may be you have something electrical coming on at 5am?

lol u could always get up at 5am at watch ur router stats to see what happens

tripodjw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Beeston
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No electrical items going on as far as i know. Heating not turned on yet (but will be soon if it continues to get colder at this rate) and w have a combi-boiler so unless the local squirrels are turning on our hot water taps shouldn't be that.