Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Additional ethernet cable connections

This is a discussion on Additional ethernet cable connections within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I'm trying to do something that I thought would be simple. I have my TV, a PC and 2 x-boxes ...

loftypeak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01698
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Additional ethernet cable connections

I'm trying to do something that I thought would be simple. I have my TV, a PC and 2 x-boxes on my Sagen router, I want to connect another PC but have run out of places to plug a cable in on the Sagem router. I spoke to Maplin, they said I needed a switch and that I would have to switch between them. I don't believe this, I thought you could have many more internet connections provided you had somewhere to plug the cable in. Wireless doesn't work well here because the house is built with thick brick walls between rooms. Is it possible to expand the number of connections on this router or is the Maplin guy correct? I'm sure this topic has been raised before though I can't find it easily, probably don't know the right words to use! Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

Re: Additional ethernet cable connections

]You do need a switch, that is in effect the name for the unit that takes an input from one of the wired points on your router, and converts it to 8 (or more) additional wired points. Try [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-8-Port-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Switch/dp/B000087H94/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323704767&sr=8-1]Netgear FS608 8-Port Fast Ethernet Unmanaged Switch 10/100 Mbps: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories[/ame] Alternatively, if you have an old router with several ports on it, why not use that? It is a bit more difficult to set up, but if you post details of the router I'm sure someone on here will be able to help. I'm sure you can shorten the hyperlink, but that is beyond me.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Nigel is right, you just need an unmanaged switch. Plug one of the ethernet ports into the uplink on a switch and that's it. It just works, with no set up or switching necessary. Here is a nice cheap one which will give you a total of 7 usable ports.
      [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Unmanaged-Desktop-TL-SF1005D-Plastic/dp/B000FNFSPY/ref=pd_cp_computers_3/276-6564651-1503151]TP-Link 5-Port 10/100 Unmanaged Mini Desktop Switch (TL-SF1005D) Plastic Case: Mcab: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

for a few pounds more, you can get a gigabit one
      [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Gigabit-Unmanaged-Desktop-TL-SG1005D/dp/B000N99BBC/ref=pd_cp_computers_1]TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch (TL-SG1005D) Plastic Case: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Nigel's comment about using an old router can be simplified by a friendly guide I wrote earlier this year:

How to connect two Routers together

The Network Switch options which both Tom & Nigel have mentioned means that you could add some additional LAN ports quite easily. However you may wish to consider where you want the additional ports to be located as well. They do not have to be located next door to the Sky router, but could be located elsewhere in your home.

Another document which I put together may also give you other ideas:

Extending your Home Network

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

loftypeak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01698
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Wow that's fantastic, I see light at the end of the tunnel. I take it that with this switch installed, although its called a switch, it won't be an either/or situation where to use one machine I have to switch another off, this is what the Maplin guy said would happen. When I first started using computers I had a clunky rotary switch marked A or B, so I could use one printer from two P.C.'s. I imagine that things have moved on since then! Thanks very much for all your help and suggestions, very impressive. Its nice to know that there is solid independent advice out there. Cheers.

lee2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: billion 7800n
      Thanks

the guys and girl are right, only had 4 ports on router, bought the cheapest 8 port switch i coud fine, simply plug it into router and it works, no setting up or anything

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loftypeak View Post
      Wow that's fantastic, I see light at the end of the tunnel. I take it that with this switch installed, although its called a switch, it won't be an either/or situation where to use one machine I have to switch another off, this is what the Maplin guy said would happen.
      As lee2010, a Network Switch is a simple device. You literally can plug one Ethernet Cable from you Sky router into any of the ports on the back of it, although some will indicate it should be a particular port, and all the other ports will allow you to connect any other network device and you can gain access to your home network, including access to the Internet.

How does it get it's name? It allows network connections to be 'switched' across different wires.

When I first started using computers I had a clunky rotary switch marked A or B, so I could use one printer from two P.C.'s. I imagine that things have moved on since then!
      I have one of those in my loft.

As for my printer, currently it is connected to a PC which is on all the time and it is shared across my network so I can easily print from my laptop, for example. I really should look at investing in a network printer, but I can't see a good financial case for it at the moment.

Thanks very much for all your help and suggestions, very impressive. Its nice to know that there is solid independent advice out there. Cheers.
      That is what we are here for.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms