Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Info on what these stats mean?

This is a discussion on Info on what these stats mean? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Where can I find an exlanation of what the router stats mean - what's good and bad for line attenuation, ...

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Info on what these stats mean?

Where can I find an exlanation of what the router stats mean - what's good and bad for line attenuation, noise margin etc?

2. Advertisement
      milgo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Windsor - Cabinet 6
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Unlocked BTO HG612 and Sky Hub 3
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi Restorer, I found the following quite good. http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

dannyw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I moved into a new house last weekend, and they have just signed up to SkyBB. I think it got turned on about 2 weeks ago. We've got the Max account.

Anyway, I was wondering if someone could explain to me if my connection stats are good/bad/ugly? I seem to be connected at a rather high connection speed, but my download rates are much lower than I expect. Using the router statistics page these are the details that it gives me:

Downstream:
      Connection Speed: 15323 kbps
      Line Attenuation: 29.5 db
      Noise Margin: 7.6 db

Upstream:
      Connection Speed: 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation: 15.4 db
      Noise Margin: 7.6 db

Now, we have 3 pcs connected to the router, 1 of them is a laptop. All are now connected via wireless. Originally one was connected via an Ethernet cable.

When the pc was connected via a cable, I tried downloading a large-ish file, and it was downloading at something like 1.5Mb/s (that's megabytes), which was smashing! But on my pc upstairs (the router is downstairs) I only seem to manage a maximum of around 150kB/s.

Basically, I'm guessing my problem is the wireless issue. I am connecting at 54 Mbps, with a 'Very Good' and sometimes 'Excellent' signal strength, but I just don't seem to be able to get the speeds that I was experiencing while using the Ethernet cable.

So really my question, to anyone who are willing to offer me some advice, is while using wireless can I expect to get downloads anywhere near approaching what I was experiencing using an Ethernet cable? And if not, other than traipsing a wire up the stairs, what is my best option? Should I get an antenna booster or something like that? Or, alternatively, is the problem to do with the stats I posted above?

Cheers for any advice any of you can give me.

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks
      Have you tried running the optimser from the speed test section on your wirelessly connected pc? I just saw a post to that it fixed this problem for someone else. Worth a shot!

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by milgo View Post
      Hi Restorer, I found the following quite good. http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm
      Yes, just the job - thanks.