Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Line going active tonight

This is a discussion on Sky Line going active tonight within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, My Sky broadband allegedly goes active at midnight tonight (I am currently on my BT connection). Does anyone know ...

jamesm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Line going active tonight

Hi,

My Sky broadband allegedly goes active at midnight tonight (I am currently on my BT connection). Does anyone know whether this means that literally my current router will lose its connection at midnight and my sky connection will be instantly active thereafter.

Can't be that seamless can it?

I know I will have to plug in and set up my sky router etc (despite it being a netgear dg834gt same as my old one) but even so is the line active that seamlessly?

James
      PS gone for the max connection - recorded my old stats in advance and will post the comparison once tested and live. Used the checker and it reckoned I'd get the full 16mb wahey!

Heres hoping!!

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

LOL - didnt go active!

Well - I'm guessing no surprises here but my line didnt go active at midnight and isnt now.

Numerous calls to Sky. Result is that a new note has miraculously appeared on my account shortly after one of my telephone calls that tells them it will now be active in a further 7 days (hmmm - sounds familiar from other stories). Good thing my BT service is still up and running. Sky were completely unable to tell me how I will actually know when the service is active.

My guess is that I have to try their router on a daily basis and basically suck it and see. Gloriously haphazard.

No wonder their support and customer service numbers are difficult to get through to!

Seems to me their 'Not Long Now' letter needs the wording changed from:

'your line should be active by midnight on 05/10/2006 and you will be charged for Sky Broadband from then on'

to:

'your line should be active within 7 days from midnight on 05/10/2006 and you will be charged for Sky Broadband from the actual date of activation'

That alone would have held off my calls for 7 days. It would also make sense that they give you an indication of how you might actually know when it is active. A simple bit of advice asking you to plug the router in and check the 'Sky Test' within the router might be sensible.

That would at least filter out a large number of calls that Tech Support do not even to field. But hey who am I???

Anyways looks like I am going the same way as many before, never knowing when my connection will be active and just hoping that it all becomes active before I lose my BT connection.

Its only Day 1 and I feel a faint unease about how long this will drag on for

James

bwfcboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: bolton
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      if you are ringing them then use this number, i have got through immediately on it every day and its free

0800 051 2595

8 days and counting for me without connection

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the free phone number bwfc - looks like i'm gonna be needing it too.

Don't know about you but all the right lights are on Iincluding the internet light) but is still not connected.

Logged on to the router and the Sky Test button fails, although on just one occasion that looked successful but Connection Status still reported errors.

My BT tracker says the PROVIDE of LLU LINE SHARE PSTN was due on 5th October but has no status.

Rang BT - they blame Sky. Rang Sky - they blame BT.