Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New Sky router is causing PC to wake from sleep mode.

This is a discussion on New Sky router is causing PC to wake from sleep mode. within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Just got broadband from Sky this week, previously with BT . Everything working very well and changeover went smoothly. One ...

seajays is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01224
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Question New Sky router is causing PC to wake from sleep mode.

Just got broadband from Sky this week, previously with BT. Everything working very well and changeover went smoothly.

One problem has occurred though. I regularly put my PC into "sleep" mode, however since plugging in to the Sky router, every time I put the PC to sleep within a couple of seconds it "wakes" back up again.

The PC is connected directly to the ethernet port. No other devices are connected to the network. If I unplug the ethernet cable and put the PC to sleep, it stays asleep so clearly it's getting some type of "Wake on Lan" message from the router.

This never happened with the BT router so I can't understand why this is happening now. Anyone any ideas about why it is happening or if there are any settings on the router or the PC that I could change? (Windows 7)

Sky Router Details:

Manufacturer: Sagemcom
      Model Number: F@ST2504n
      Firmware Version: 5.23.1a4N
      ADSL Firmware Version: A2pD030n.d23b

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: New Sky router is causing PC to wake from sleep mode.

The only thing I can think of is UPnP polling for business. Try Turning it off and see if it makes any difference. Turning off Wake on LAN in your PC BIOS may also help.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mcphailan. is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Harrow
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

A quick google found this potentially useful checkbox "allow this device to wake up..." - not sure if available for your router device?

seajays is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01224
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: New Sky router is causing PC to wake from sleep mode.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've managed to resolve this now. I didn't want to switch off "Wake on LAN" altogether, as I have a DLNA TV downstairs which is able to wake the PC if I want to view photos, videos etc.

I've managed to find the culprit though and it indeed is a setting on the network card. I actually based it on this article.

Using the powercfg -lastwake command from that article I confirmed it was the network card. I also read something else about ARP packets being sent from routers which could kick PCs out of sleep mode.

So what I really wanted was the network card to wake from "magic packets" which my DLNA TV works with but ignore other events that caused it to wake.

Looking in the advanced settings on my network card I found this was set to "Wake on Magic & Directed", so I changed it to just "Wake on Magic"

Rebooted, then put the PC into sleep, and it stayed asleep this time (so far so good), so went downstairs to my DLNA TV, and went to browse photos, and happily it woke the PC upstairs.

So I'm now all sorted. Thanks for the pointers all.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to seajays For This Useful Post:

mcphailan. (07-10-11)

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: vodafone supafast 2
      Router: vodafone isp router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

that might be whats causing my brothers pc to wake up might be the bios setting