Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wireless or not?

This is a discussion on Wireless or not? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi guys, just wondering what the wireless performance is like on the router. Would it be best to keep my ...

TomA is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bargoed
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless or not?

Hi guys, just wondering what the wireless performance is like on the router.
      Would it be best to keep my main pc connected via ethernet and secondary connected with a wireless adaptor (I'll be going PCI route)

or will i get the full speed of the connection with both connected with wireless adaptors (Sky connect i should get the full 8meg as that's what i'm getting now)

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      jamcamuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kingsmead (Bath)
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Hi,

I find the wifi not so good. It cuts out all the time for me so going to add on a belkin hub and see if that is any better. As my last wifi router worked very well.
      :-) Errrr Right

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Not sure which operating system you are using but windows does not share double connections it will just use the one.

lynda0808 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: mitcham
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I have my main pc connected via ethernet and my other 2 wireless and everything is fine

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry Dingdong, not sure what you mean by there?

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      I have my two PCs linked via the wires as I haven't got wireless capability of either of them.

Scrubbless is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Benfleet, Essex
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      The wireless is not very good, it can get choppy and the speeds can fluctuate. THe best speed I have seen the wireless give out is 6mb (it was a one off), but it is usually about 3mb.

As a test I put my laptop 30 cm from my router and connected the wireless. did a load of speed tests and averaged at 3.5mb.

I then disconnected the wireless and plugged it in via Ethernet and did a series of speed tests, all coming out at... 9mb... go figure.

The wireless is shared also. I did speed tests on both my wireless machines.

Just after, and got 2mb on each. While when running one speed test I got 4mb.

This all could be down to my wireless cards, but they say they are connecting at 54mbs. (they are both 108 cards like the router is meant to be)

Ironicly the one off 6mb speed was on the Wireless card that has low-medium signal.

To test the range I powered up my old linksys router and connected my machines to it, and got solid connections al excellent signals. I could not speed check them since I couldn't connect it to the line (due to sky lockdowns).

I'd suggest if you expect to use the full capacity of your line to download stuff, that you connect that machine to the router via cable. Better since its less likely to DC from the network and you will get better overall speeds.

If I could be bothered to sort out a fileserver type machine for DL's etc, it would be connected via ethernet.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers Scrubbless, looks like i'll connect main pc by cable then and laptop and second pc by the wireless!

milgo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Windsor - Cabinet 6
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Unlocked BTO HG612 and Sky Hub 3
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi,

as has been advised in other posts on this forum, I changed my wireless setting to auto 108. This did not work for me at all, frequent disconnects on the wireless connection to all of the 3 wireless enabled laptops that we use in the house, wether they were sat right next to the router or at the furthest point away from the router in the house so I have changed the setting to b & g which also gave me the chance to select the channel of my choice. I selected 5 because this was the channel that I had been using on my previous setup. I now have a very stable wireless connection.

Also I had run the TCP optimizer on the desktop pc that is connected by ethernet cable to the router and had seen some improvement there. When I ran the optimizer on the laptops...WOW it was like amazing the difference that it made, much more so than i could have expected. If you've not run the optimizer on your equipment, especially the wirelessly connected I'd suggest you do it. It workrd for me.

fixer2035 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I would always use my main pc wired esp as I am online game player, there are too many factor's that could interfere with the signal on WIFI.
      I have sold my sold soul and joined SkyBroadband

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast