Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

"you Have To Use The Router Supplied By Sky To Connect!"

This is a discussion on "you Have To Use The Router Supplied By Sky To Connect!" within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Thanks - but clearly you can't read what you haven't received. To be honest I think of broadband as a ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Thanks - but clearly you can't read what you haven't received. To be honest I think of broadband as a utility these days (much like telephone service or electricity), thus I wouldn't really expect T&C's to be that relevant.
      Yes I would agree, however that defence would not get you anywhere. There are far worse ISP's out there.

1) When I signed up to F2S, they actually asked me on the phone if i agreed to the Terms and I had to say yes, or they wouldn't let me carry on with the process.

2) When you sign up to Plusnet, you can only do this over the net, again they won't let you proceed without agreeing.

If Sky are not doing 1) or 2) then personnally they are letting their own customers down and not signing you up fairly.

I only mentioned the business thing because we have seen it on here so many times, when people complain because their BB is not working, they ring up and state they are losing money as it is for business use. They then get their accounts closed. (no facts to back it up) - just what I have read.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      When I first signed up to Sky and by this I mean giving my band number to the lady at Sky I fairly sure she quoted some T&Cs down the phone, one of which was the use of their own branded router. Anyone like to confirm this ?

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I was certainly not aware of this clause in the t&c's until after i'd ordered and got my connection! A bit late in my opinion. If something is advertised without a restriction being mentioned it and then sprung on people at the last minute seems pretty poor to me. If i had been aware of this before ordering i never would have ordered it. Problem is when you have burnt your bridges so to speak - the thought of the cancellation and getting reconnected left me with the only choice possible - risk it anyway.

In fact when i first phoned sky i was told on the phone that you could use your own router, but then i have no proof of this.

tripodjw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Beeston
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I have to agree with DingDong, I was not told about the "requirement" to use the sky router when i signed up on the phone. I didn't receive a link to or was it a copy of (can't remember which now) the T&C's until after my account was active because it was emailed to my new sky email - which of course wasn't accessible until my account went live and even then i couldn't access it via the webmail for a couple of weeks cos that wasn't working.

The T&C discussed on the phone weren't really terms and conditions, they just went through a list of tech requirements, X mB RAM, BT phone line, MAC code etc. They said they were sending me a router, and just asked if i wanted install. No mention of having to use it.

But as DingDong mentioned, I've no proof they didn't tell me, as i bet they would have conveninetly lost the "staff training purposes" recording of that call.

Personally, I think Sky need to send out paper copies of the T&C when they send out the confirmation of order letter. That way they can guarantee (well almost - Royal Mail notwithstanding) the customer has received them, then it really is the customers fault if they've not read them.

twynne is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brentwood
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      As I think further about it, I definitely wasn't told about the requirement as I wasn't even aware they were sending me a router. In fact it was a complete surprise when the card first showed up saying they'd attempted to deliver a package. There was no mention of them supplying a router during the pre-sales or signup process.

In fact the only reason I went ahead and agreed for them to redeliver was that I thought it might be worth dumping on eBay, but figured more likely it was a crap wired router like BT send out and it would just end up in the closet!

I'm still not impressed but I'm willing to give theirs a try (I've had nightmares with Netgear equipment in the past so not too optimistic!) If it's crap I'll be using my own equipment.

KeefeFox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Cheam
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Surely, the fact that the terms and conditions weren't available to most people until after they signed up, would put Sky in a difficult position, if it did come down to court action. Especially as so many people were not getting a proper service until after the cooling off period.

Keith

MaryHinge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I wouldn't take any notice of the T&Cs WRT the router aspect. The fact is Sky are not going to risk losing a customer paying a minimum of 20/month (including TV sub, in 90% of cases a hell of a lot more than 20) over what router you are using.

The are of course perfectly within their rights to not offer any support as you would not be using a supported configuration. That said i've always used any ISPs support as a matter of last resort.

No matter what you do always hang on to the supplied router, that way if you have an issue and you absolutely have to contact SkyBB support there can be no arguments.

Cheers,

MH

justaboutsane is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stoke on Trent
      Broadband ISP: Ran for the Hills!!
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Your contract is not available to you until you log on to your Sky email. Therefor I think in contract law you cannot bebound to its terms as you had not seen them before taking up the service! My partner and I have have received nothing in writing with regards to the T&Cs but the contract was mailed to our Sky email... There may be trouble ahead if ppl can shout this one at them!

We were not informed that we could not use it for business uses... I work from home and access remote servers via the internet.. but its not our primary reason for having Net its just a tool I use!!

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      As for Sky not making the T and C's available before hand, is not the issue I am talking about (imho they should make them abundantly clear).

If I was going to pay anyone any money for anything, I would want to know what I am getting and under what conditions etc that I would be subject to.

As a business person myself, I would understand that I would not be able to use a home product for business use, thats the way things are, and in the past, I have always asked if I could use it for a business or not.

Now I am not saying Sky are right or wrong, but seriously, you should know what you are buying before you buy it. As a business, you can claim back expenses for broadband etc, however it may take some convincing that the Home broadband is really for business use, with the Taxman etc.

Moral of the story is read or ask for a copy of any T and C's before you sign up to anything contract wise.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      We were not informed that we could not use it for business uses... I work from home and access remote servers via the internet.. but its not our primary reason for having Net its just a tool I use!!
      Personnally I would allow that if I was Sky, if it was for hosting a website or email server for business use, then I would probably not.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 13-10-06 at 01:25 PM. Reason: added for business use

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast