Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

What router is supplied?

This is a discussion on What router is supplied? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hiya, I had Sky Broadband a couple of years ago (left when they reduced Sky Mid from 40GB to 10GB ...

Jefros is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01543
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

What router is supplied?

Hiya, I had Sky Broadband a couple of years ago (left when they reduced Sky Mid from 40GB to 10GB allowance).

I've just re-joined with Sky Talk also as i'll get Anytime and be paying a few ús less than now.

I wanted to know, what router are they currently supplying, does this have the usuals like dyndns support, support connecting to a work vpn, can I set it to use WEP (know it's not secure but i've a couple of devices that need it) and can I easily extract the username/pass from it to use with another router.

My current router is a Sky branded 834 that I re-flashed with Netgear firmware and am using on O2, so i'll put the new username/pass in that and either continue to use it or swap as a backup if I can get on with the new one.

I still have the original username/pass that was in this router when on Sky before - is it likely to be the same or new?

Thanks for your help, just trying to anticipate any probs

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,496 Times in 1,464 Posts

Re: What router is supplied?

Sky at the moment are supplying a Sagemcom 2304n, which is very lite N, giving about 72mbps. If you hold of for a month or so, you will get one of the new Sagem full N routers. It is said they will start giving them out Aug/Sept.
      They will no doubt still be capable of WEP, but you should really update your devices to use WPA. Quite often this is just a case of updating the drivers. WEP is so easily cracked now that a 10 year old with an iPhone could do it.
      Your old username and password would probably still work with Sky, they seem to be very lax at removing MACs from their data base. The username and pass word are based on the router MAC address so a new router will have different details. As the new routers are not available yet it is not known whether the password will be obtainable. Although the present 2304n works on the same algorithm as the older Sagem. the new one may not. The other point is that if you have Sky rental, the line will be on MER not PPPoA, which is proving difficult to crack, although some claim to have done it..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider / TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      . If you hold of for a month or so, you will get one of the new Sagem full N routers. It is said they will start giving them out Aug/Sept.

The other point is that if you have Sky rental, the line will be on MER not PPPoA, which is proving difficult to crack, although some claim to have done it..
      Thanks, it's already down for connection on 1st Aug.

I have ordered line rental with it - so does that mean if I extract the user/pass and put it in the old 834 it won't work? Even if I get on OK with the new one I don't like the idea of not having a backup available to plug in if the psu or router dies

Thanks

so does that mean if I extract the user/pass and put it in the old 834 it won't work?
      Unless its details have been removed from the data base, it will work provided PPPoA is still on your line. Most find that it is, although some report they cannot connect, although the the majority have no problems. You might be lucky and get one of the new routers.

See - SKY Router frustrations

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Thanks

I'm talking about putting the new details in it after extracting them from the Sagem. So sounds likely that will work

Thanks

My edit crossed

TomD

Useful Utilites

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Jefros (20-07-11)

Thanks

Excellent, fingers crossed then. Not sure if I want one of the new ones or not, as there could be teething problems and probably won't be able to extract the password the usual way til someone cracks it!

Thanks muchly anyway!