Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Signal-to-Noise ratio query

This is a discussion on Signal-to-Noise ratio query within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've been trying to track down why I am getting so many disconnects from my new Sky MAX package (14 ...

Gennavar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Heath Hayes, Staffs.
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Signal-to-Noise ratio query

I've been trying to track down why I am getting so many disconnects from my new Sky MAX package (14 days in at the minute). On average I seem to lose connectivity about 10-15 times a day. Rebooting the router has on occasions taken 5 reboots before I get a connection that lasts for more than 5 mins. At other times though it works really well, although I've never been up for more than about 12 hours yet ...

I've attached a graph of the signal-to-noise figure for today so far. it doesn't show the router dropping out (which is unusual!) and is actually higher on average than my normal figure of around 6-7db but it does show the odd "spikes" that are happening. Are these normal? Or should the noise figure decrease/increase gradually with the amount of traffic?

I've tried disconnecting everything apart from the router and a laptop and then plugging the whole lot in to the master socket (via a microfilter - I have no direct ADSL connection on the master socket) but it doesn't seem to make any difference
      I've also tried disabling uPnP on the router etc.

Any comments/suggestions would be more than welcome as if I don't get this even vaguely reliable soon I'm going to be trying to send the whole lot back to Sky!!!

(And yes, I've spoken to the infamous Sky support .... and am still waiting for a callback from "advanced technical support" after 5 days)
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Signal-to-Noise ratio query-routernoise.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      growvirgin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woolwich
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      have you tried the dingdong process?

Worked for me

Gennavar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Heath Hayes, Staffs.
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yep, tried that but still no joy. The stupid thing is I can't get my sync speeds to go consistently lower, even when "software" rebooting via the diagnostics/reboot on the web interface. I keep getting random sync speeds between low 6k and high 11k, seemingly with no pattern (at least that I can see!).

Just had a read of the thread on Digital Spy about dropping the sync speed through firmware. Might try that just to see if I can get a stable connection and then take it from there .... ?