Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

D-Link and iPhone Problem...

This is a discussion on D-Link and iPhone Problem... within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello, Sky sent me a replacement D-Link router as my last Netgear one died. I have a Linksys wireless-n router ...

adamuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

D-Link and iPhone Problem...

Hello,

Sky sent me a replacement D-Link router as my last Netgear one died. I have a Linksys wireless-n router piggybacking off it. The D-Link is the DHCP server, and DHCP is disabled on the Linksys. The Linksys is used for wireless. All the laptops and desktops connect via wifi and ethernet perfectly fine, and there are no issues.

Unfortunately, the two iPhones in the house have problems connecting to the router properly. They both report that they are connected and obtain IP addresses, although they aren't actually connected - I cannot load any website and I cannot ping them. When looking under 'attached devices' on the D-Link they aren't present, until I renew the lease and they work straight away.

This never happened on my Netgear router

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this?

Cheers,

Adam

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: D-Link and iPhone Problem...

Try reserving their addresses in the Address Reservation list. You could also use the Wireless Access list to allow them to connect, but if you do this any other wireless devices you have would also have to be put in the list. It does provide a bit of extra wireless security apart from anything else.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

adamuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hey,

Thanks for your reply. Iíve tried the Address Reservation list and it didnít seem to resolve anything as I donít think it actually worked correctly Ė despite being on the list as receiving an IP of 192.168.0.4, the iphones wanted to pick up 192.168.0.2/3. They are definitely both set to DHCP and not static IP.

What is strange is that the laptop I was using was assigned an IP address of 192.168.0.3, and so did an iphone Ė but only one would work. If I disconnected them both, and reconnected them, then the other would work, but they both had a 192.168.0.3 address. The laptop is also set to receive an IP via the DHCP server. Eventually the laptop popped up and said an IP conflict error.

Do you have any suggestions? I really am unsure what to do. I have a Sagem router I debranded that I could use instead, but I really want it to have the standard Sky firmware on it and I canít find it anywhere Ė thereís a modified version that I can install back on but all the links on the forum are dead.

Thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Try starting afresh. Switch everything off except your laptop. Push a biro point into the reset hole on the rear of the router and hold it there until the tick light flashes. Now reboot your laptop, it should reconnect with the address 192.168.0.2. Reserve this address in the Reservation list.

Now switch on one of the iPhones, it should be given 192.168.0.3, reserve this in the table. Switch the first phone off and switch on the second one, it should be given the 192.168.0.4 address, reserve this also.

Now go to the Setup tab and click the Set up access list link and all of the devices connected will be shown. Click the radio button for the first, which should be the Laptop, and click Add. Give it a Name and click Apply. Repeat this with the phones, giving each a unique name. See how things go from there.

Remember if you have changed the wireless access key you will have to enter it again after the router is reset.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.