Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

D-Link (black skybox) router problems

This is a discussion on D-Link (black skybox) router problems within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; after reccomending my parents to sky last year...they joined and have been enjoying good broadband etc..until around xmas..they had a ...

sparkz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMOULT
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

D-Link (black skybox) router problems

after reccomending my parents to sky last year...they joined and have been enjoying good broadband etc..until around xmas..they had a few 'drops' in service which was put down to the weather..however this never really improved with them having to reboot the modem every few days to regain conectivity.

they arent particularly technical so doing diagnostics is tricky however after speaking to them today and them mentioning it was off again....i headed over to investigate.

they have 2 pc's both connect using wireless and both suffer the same problem at the same time...so the likelyhood of a PC related problem is little to none, it transpires when this problem occurs they can see the wireless network and can try and connect to it however as soon as they do windows tells them they can not connect to the network.

i arrived tonight 'tooled up' with a nice long network cable which i promptly plugged in to the back of the modem, taking care not to power it down etc...plugged it in to one of the PCs and sure enough the internet is back on.....the problem is wireless related i thought...so attempted to log in via 192.168.0.1 however got a timeout....i was using google chrome...so thought id check the same on IE however same problem...internet up but not able to log in...checked default gateway of the active network connection which confirmed the router was 192.168.0.1

as i couldnt do/see anything the only thing i could do was to power down the modem...after this i was able to log in and also the wireless came back to life....however when checking stats i see that the connection id seen a few months ago syncing at somewhere around 15meg was sitting down at about 2 meg!...(they live about 800metres from the same exchange as me)

so i set about unplugging all phones etc.....reboot..same difference...next was remove faceplate off the master socket and try there same problem..

i check the stas which are as follows..

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2047 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 35.0db 20.7db
      Noise Margin 31.2db 24.0db

which i believe show they should be connecting far faster than they actually are?
      also looking at the upstream speed...it looks like they are now in DLM?

therefore i believe there are a few problems here....router 'hanging' causing wifi problems and inability to log in....and high line att and slow connection speed (maybe triggered by the regular rebooting cause of the above?)

my next step is call sky i think however i wanted to check im going down the right road before i talk to them....any opinions or advice would be welcomed

thanks,

Sparkz

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: D-Link (black skybox) router problems

There is a massive cap on the line, which a call to Sky should get removed.

I doubt if WiFi problems would cause DLM to kick in, although several reboots in a short period may. Check that your parents have everything plugged in properly and that filters are plugged in first on all the sockets in use. DLM does not kick in for nothing, so they may have inadvertently plugged a Sky box in without a filter or something like that..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

sparkz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMOULT
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Re: D-Link (black skybox) router problems

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There is a massive cap on the line, which a call to Sky should get removed.

I doubt if WiFi problems would cause DLM to kick in, although several reboots in a short period may. Check that your parents have everything plugged in properly and that filters are plugged in first on all the sockets in use. DLM does not kick in for nothing, so they may have inadvertently plugged a Sky box in without a filter or something like that..

i spoke to sky..they are sending out a new box...they said the rebooting the box is the trigger for DLM they said they would reset it.

i do all the 'connections' for them and nothings changed...it just seems as if the router has been slowly dieing over the last few months..hopefully the new one will solve the problem and restore normal service!!