Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Missing Network Devices

This is a discussion on Missing Network Devices within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; After 24 hours of tearing my hair out and searching countless other threads on here, I've decided to post my ...

christhedj is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Lightbulb Missing Network Devices

After 24 hours of tearing my hair out and searching countless other threads on here, I've decided to post my own. I hope you can help.

I have the following devices on my network in varying degrees of permanence:

Windows XP Home Netbook
      Windows Vista Ultimate Laptop
      Windows 7 x64 Enterprise Laptop
      WDTV Live Media Streamer
      Hava Monsoon Placeshifter
      Wii Console (Wireless)
      LANDISK NAS Enclosure
      Sony Ericsson Xperia x10i
      ZTE Racer

Yes - I know I am not exactly making life easy for myself.

So here's the rub. The computers can all see each other fine. The WDTV presents no major problems and they're happily sharing.

But the Hava, the phones, the Wii and the LANDISK are like ghosts. They have an internet connection from the router. There's even UPnP activity in the log. But they list as "Unknown" in the connected devices menu and don't appear in the device list of any of the machines.

I've got them all on the same workgroup, I've opened all the ports necessary (I think), I've reduced the TTL for UPnP, I've checked sharing and network adapter settings on each computer and heck alone knows what else.

I'm stuck.... why are these devices only semi-connected? How can I fix it?

Thanks in advance...

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: Missing Network Devices

With the amount of devices you are connecting it would be better if you give them each their own IP address. When you have done that, reserve each ones address in the Address Reservation list. It is quite normal for devices to be shown as 'unknown' and this can be overcome by naming them when you put them in the Reserved list. Each time the device is connected it will be given the same address, this much simplifies port forwarding etc.

Note- You don't have to name the devices with there official names, you can call them what you like.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.