Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can I buy a 2nd sky router & run it

This is a discussion on Can I buy a 2nd sky router & run it within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; If I buy a second sky router for my front room and amend the username and password to mine which ...

trademark is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Boreham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Can I buy a 2nd sky router & run it

If I buy a second sky router for my front room and amend the username and password to mine which I have already extracted, will it work?

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Can I buy a 2nd sky router & run it

You can only run one adsl router modem on a line.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

If you are trying to extend you WiFi coverage, then you could cable the two together and set up the 2nd router with a different IP address & so as not to work as a DNS server.

This works well.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Hmm, I'd like to hardwire via a router my xbox and blu ray which is in the front room, whilst the router is in the office. So they don't necessarily have to be on at the same time.

I wad thinking of a second router option as I would prefer it hard wired, but I suppose I could bridge with a belkin or a buffalo if it's to much of a mission.

t-bon3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WWHELS
      Router: Netgear D7000
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Well if you dont feel like running CAT5 cable through the walls you could go with powerline ethernet.
      Max Value 85 Mbps Home Plug Double Unit Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Or get a wireless access point to connect the wired devices to the wireless network
      TP-Link TL-WA500G 54Mbps Wireless Access Point with Extended RangeTM: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

7. The Following User Says Thank You to t-bon3 For This Useful Post:

trademark (12-01-11)

Thanks

The Home Plugs are very useful. There is a thread elsewhere on this forum talking about them. There are better options than what you mentioned, but they are in the thread.

With these it is also possible to connect the first router to a 2nd (configured to act as a WiFi Switch) and much more.

The pair I use run at 100Mbps.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

trademark (12-01-11)

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trademark View Post
      Hmm, I'd like to hardwire via a router my xbox and blu ray which is in the front room, whilst the router is in the office. So they don't necessarily have to be on at the same time.

I wad thinking of a second router option as I would prefer it hard wired, but I suppose I could bridge with a belkin or a buffalo if it's to much of a mission.
      If you really want to use two adsl modem/routers on a single phone line, then you'd need to only have one plugged into a phone socket at a time. Even when switched off, the out of use the adsl router is likely to degrade the adsl signal if it is left plugged into the telephone socket, and may stop the other router from syncing altogether.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by t-bon3 View Post
      Well if you dont feel like running CAT5 cable through the walls you could go with powerline ethernet.
      Max Value 85 Mbps Home Plug Double Unit Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Or get a wireless access point to connect the wired devices to the wireless network
      TP-Link TL-WA500G 54Mbps Wireless Access Point with Extended RangeTM: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
      So the access point option, this is a bridge that will pick up the Sky wifi. Also, is it HDMI or Ethernet, cant quite work it out from the picture.

The plugs, have seen them but not used them, may seem dumb but how exactly do they work, and what other equipment willi need ?

t-bon3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WWHELS
      Router: Netgear D7000
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

So the access point option, this is a bridge that will pick up the Sky wifi. Also, is it HDMI or Ethernet, cant quite work it out from the picture.
      Yes the access point picks up your existing wi-fi and has an ethernet port to connect to a wired network device. (I have no idea why amazon 'suggests' that you should buy an HDMI cable with it )
      If you need to connect more than 1 wired device to the wireless network you will need to use a Switch inbetween the Access Point and the Xbox / Bluray.
      TP-Link 5-Port 10/100 Unmanaged Mini Desktop Switch (TL-SF1005D) Plastic Case: Mcab: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

The plugs, have seen them but not used them, may seem dumb but how exactly do they work, and what other equipment willi need ?
      You plug-in one of the plugs next to the router and connect an ethernet cable from the router to the plug. You plug-in the other plug near your Xbox / Blu-ray player and connect an ethernet cable from the plug to the Xbox. To connect more than one device you can either put a switch (as above) between the wall plug and the Xbox / Bluray or get another wall plug to connect the second device.

Thanks

HDMI is for the TV signal. Ethernet is for the computers/internet. Your Sky box has a HDMI port to connect to a HD TV, much like Scart for Standard Definition (SD) TVs. It also has a LAN port which is now capable of connecting to your home network and downloading movies with AnyTime+.

The PowerLine Network Adapters are sold in pairs. They will, by default, talk only to each other, but it is possible to connect many more together by a simple process. There are many different brands available with speeds quoted from 85mbps up to 200mbps. The ones quoting 200mbps are actually 100mbps duplex (i.e. in both directions), which is what most home networks are now, including the Sky Router.

Basically you just plug them into the wall socket, switch that on, plug a network cable into their network port, and hey-presto - your network now extends to another part of your home, without running 20m or 30m lengths of cable all over your house.

Think of them as an extension cable for your network. Plug one into your router, and the other into another network device (i.e. Bridge, Sky+ HD, Desktop PC, etc.).

I've got a pair of Comtrend 902s and they work just fine. My router sees them as an extra device on my LAN, but my PC just talks through them as if they were not there.

A friend has 3 connected. Her home is made from stone and the WiFi signal is very poor upstairs. So the first connects to her router downstairs. She has an old router upstairs configured so that it works like a Bridge and when she is upstairs, she can connect to it without any drop in performance. The other feeds her Sky+ HD box, this save running a long cable from the router to her STB.

An important issue for some is that you can still plug other electrical devices through the adapters. I would not recommend plugging an electrical heater into them, but most other products should be fine.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

trademark (12-01-11)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast