Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help with Dlink DSL2640S

This is a discussion on Help with Dlink DSL2640S within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; HI Guys I am with sky broadband and the above router they have supplied me with has a range of ...

littlegem0312 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Help with Dlink DSL2640S

HI Guys

I am with sky broadband and the above router they have supplied me with has a range of practically 0 when i want to use a device in another room.

I was just wondering if there was a way for me to gain my user name and password so that i can use my own router instead?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

2. Advertisement
      BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Help with Dlink DSL2640S

Yes, but you will be breaking Sky's T&C.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi
      Ive had a look at the link and when i download that software it wont run on my pc, it keeps asking me to choose a program to open it with or search the net???

If I cant do it this way is there any other way that i can boost the signal from my router to get better coverage through out my house x

P.S also phoned sky and asked if it was ok for me to use my own router and they said yes, so i asked if it was against their t&c to do so and they said no!!

EDIT...........

PLEASE DISREGARD THE ABOVE...................All is now good in the world :-)
      Last edited by littlegem0312; 10-01-11 at 09:47 PM.

t-bon3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WWHELS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Netgear D7000
      Thanks

Do you have the router laying down or standing up?
      Put it vertically on top of a cupboard to get the best range.

BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Make sure you keep the Sky router.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BritBrat For This Useful Post:

littlegem0312 (12-01-11)

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littlegem0312 View Post
      HI Guys

I am with sky broadband and the above router they have supplied me with has a range of practically 0 when i want to use a device in another room.

I was just wondering if there was a way for me to gain my user name and password so that i can use my own router instead?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you
      Yeah you can use your own router (but you would be breaking Sky's terms and conditions). Details of how to do it are on this forum/s.

Have you tried changing your wireless channel, has that is sometimes the cause of poor range, due to neighbouring wireless routers been on the same channel.

There is a free program that you can download (can't think of the name of it, but someone on here will know the name I'm sure). It basically shows what channel neighbouring routers are using and from there you can put your router on a channel away from the ones shown in the program.

To change the channel on your router you do the following:

Enter into your browser 192.168.0.1/

Click on the setup tab towards the top of the page.

You should now see a different screen, towards the top of this screen you will see a 'wireless network' section. In here is CHANNEL, usually its on automatic, try changing this a few times on to a different channel and see if your range improves.

With the use of the program I mentioned earlier, this will help you determine a suitable free wireless channel in your neighbourhood.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tal71 View Post
      Yeah you can use your own router (but you would be breaking Sky's terms and conditions). Details of how to do it are on this forum/s.

Have you tried changing your wireless channel, has that is sometimes the cause of poor range, due to neighbouring wireless routers been on the same channel.

There is a free program that you can download (can't think of the name of it, but someone on here will know the name I'm sure). It basically shows what channel neighbouring routers are using and from there you can put your router on a channel away from the ones shown in the program.

To change the channel on your router you do the following:

Enter into your browser 192.168.0.1/

Click on the setup tab towards the top of the page.

You should now see a different screen, towards the top of this screen you will see a 'wireless network' section. In here is CHANNEL, usually its on automatic, try changing this a few times on to a different channel and see if your range improves.

With the use of the program I mentioned earlier, this will help you determine a suitable free wireless channel in your neighbourhood.
      Hi

Thanks for the advice but i already know how to do this and have tried every channel possible and it still doesnt imporve the signal. I have also checked with Sky and apparently it is no longer against their terms and conditions to use your own router. Its just against their T&C to give you the user name and password. The adviser told me to google it so and did and all is good x

Colacube is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

As someone else mentioned.
      The Sky router comes on a auto channel setting by default. Changing it to a channel like 1 or 3 can increase the range on it. Channel 1 usually is free as most people tend to put their routers on a higher channel beliving higher is better.
      I have the D-Link router and it works fine for me, I wouldn't see any reason for a better one other than extra perks & features and of corse wireless N.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colacube View Post
      As someone else mentioned.
      The Sky router comes on a auto channel setting by default. Changing it to a channel like 1 or 3 can increase the range on it. Channel 1 usually is free as most people tend to put their routers on a higher channel beliving higher is better.
      I have the D-Link router and it works fine for me, I wouldn't see any reason for a better one other than extra perks & features and of corse wireless N.
      As i mentioned Ive already tried changing the channel and it doesnt work! You can actually buy router/modems with better range and that it what im going to do. I never had a problem with range in my house untill i got the sky router.