Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sky router is rubbish compared to HomeHub v2

This is a discussion on Sky router is rubbish compared to HomeHub v2 within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there. I used to be with BT Broadband, but we were having major problems with the line, speed and ...

GuitarJammin'76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky router is rubbish compared to HomeHub v2

Hi there.

I used to be with BT Broadband, but we were having major problems with the line, speed and customer service, so after lots of hassle, I decided to switch to Sky - already have Sky TV, so that saves money as well.

The speed is twice as fast as BT Broadband, so that's great - but the router itself is rubbish compared to the BT HomeHub for various reasons, so I am looking to replace the Sky router with something else.

The three things I loved about the BT HomeHub v2 are:

1. It's an 'N' wireless router, so it's faster and has better range.
      2. It supports WPA2 - for some obscure reason, the Sky router doesn't support the latest wireless security (!)

3. You can set up as many schedules as you like, for as many machines as you like. For example, if you want to set up a separate one for the PC, laptop and games console, you can - you can also set it up to block connection to any given system at certain times of the day; for example when it's time for the kids to come down for dinner, or to go to bed. With the Sky Router, you can only set up one schedule, so it's nowhere near as convenient and it's too easy to forget to set up each schedule throughout the day.

My parents when I was growing up would just go with 'pull the plug out', but as you know, doing that with modern PCs and/or games consoles is not a good idea if you want to retain a healthy system.

So, apart from the BT HomeHub v2 (which as far as I know is locked to BT and won't work with Sky), which router would you recommend that meets all of the above criteria? My wireless adapter should be capable of 150mbps, but thanks to the router being 'G', it only manages 54mbps.

If there aren't routers that meet the scheduling requirement, could you suggest software that might do the same job? It would have to be something 'official' from a reputable source, not some random freeware - I'm not giving any random piece of software access to my router.

Now onto the wireless question. If I'm running under Win 7 64bit, I get lag while on the internet - typically this shows itself as typing lag or lag while scrolling pages. You can also see it by looking at the animated smilies when making a post - every now and then, they'll micro-pause. I have checked drives for errors, defragged all drives and scanned for malware with AVG 2011 and then ESET Smart Security 4 - all is clean.

If I run under Win XP, this doesn't happen at all, it's as smooth as you like. On my nephew's laptop which is also running Win 7, it doesn't happen either (that's pretty much a new system though). On XP and Win 7 64bit, I'm running Firefox.

I have tried clean profiles, reinstalling Firefox and running without add ons - the clean profile works for a bit, but then slows down just the same as the other profile.

One other thing: if my nephew has his laptop in his room, upstairs from the router, it has a solid five bar connection. If he uses it downstairs and therefore closer to the router, it drops to two bars (!) Same thing happens if he brings it to my room.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit: One other thing: if we ditch BT phone service and go with Sky Talk, that's even more money saved - has anyone had experience of Sky Talk - what are they like?
      CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz
      GPU: AMD Radeon HD6850 1gb
      RAM: Corsair 4gb DDR2
      O/S: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Sky router is rubbish compared to HomeHub v2

Sky router's DO support WPA2 on the latest FW version - what version are you on.

But no, they aren't 'N' but the next one probably will be. Just use homeplugs or Ethernet anyway as they're superior to wireless
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Sky router's DO support WPA2 on the latest FW version - what version are you on.

But no, they aren't 'N' but the next one probably will be. Just use homeplugs or Ethernet anyway as they're superior to wireless
      I think I'm on the latest - what is the latest version, so I know? You mention the next router will be 'N' - does that mean Sky are going to release a new router soon and would it be possible to upgrade to it?

Thanks

1. I've no idea
      2. I am assuming Sky are going to release an 'N' router
      3. I know the latest Netgear DG934 FW is 2.2.44 but I've not looked at one in over a year. I just know it now has WPA2

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

That's odd - you appear to be right: Sky do support WPA2 (now). The strange thing is, I was checking those settings a few days ago and there was nothing in there about WPA2 but now there is - do Sky update it automatically?

Thanks

Yes they do, so chances are it wasn't there out the box as it's been in a warehouse but now it's live it's updated.

As for only being 'G' - that's more than enough unless you transfer large files around your internal network. It does nothing to your Internet connection

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Yes they do, so chances are it wasn't there out the box as it's been in a warehouse but now it's live it's updated.

As for only being 'G' - that's more than enough unless you transfer large files around your internal network. It does nothing to your Internet connection
      It must have happened in the last couple of days then. Anyway, at least it supports it now. So, which option is best?

WPA2-PSK (AES) or
      WPA/WPA2-PSK (Mixed Mode)

If the router being 'G' does nothing for my internet connection, why is my adapter (which is capable of 150mbps) only delivering 54mbps? Same on my nephew's system.

What about the scheduling question? It's much more convenient if you can just set and forget, instead of having to remember to set each schedule. Nephew's not a bad kid, but if the connection doesn't drop, he'll come down late for dinner - and multiple schedules would stop that immediately.

Thanks

Because 54Mbps is the Router connection - it's NOTHING to do with your Internet connection. That speed is between the router and your PC. You'll only ever get the connection between the router and the Internet, which will be less than 54Mbps

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarJammin'76 View Post
      ...So, which option is best?

WPA2-PSK (AES) or
      WPA/WPA2-PSK (Mixed Mode)
      Both will be fine, so long as any WiFi device you use is compatible with them. Sadly both are hackable with the right software. The first is the harder to hack though.

Personally I have set my router to only allow devices that are recognised to connect. This makes it much harder for people to connect without my knowledge.

As was hinted at, but not picked up on, you can actually use the BT HomeHub instead of the Sky Router. Search "Sky router Password Generator" and you should find one or two on the web to help you with obtaining the sign-in details. The links that fuzzy logic posted should provide you with the information to change the settings on the BT HomeHub.

This would allow you to go back to using your old hub with all the trimmings that you've been used to. This isn't officially supported by Sky, but doesn't tend to cause any issues. Personally I have a different Hub to the Sky one supplied and I've been able to discuss an issue with Sky before now.

As for whether Sky or BT broadband is better, it very much depends on what you want from your ISP. Personally I don't like the way the BT HomeHub takes around 4MB from your potential speed in the name of running BT OpenZone, an extra telephone line and BTFon (optional) without admitting to their users that this happens.

These services won't happen on the Sky BB with the HomeHub, so disable them.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast