Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sky router is rubbish compared to HomeHub v2

This is a discussion on Sky router is rubbish compared to HomeHub v2 within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by Scubbie Other routers on the market do offer many more features than the routers supplied by Sky. ...

GuitarJammin'76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky router is rubbish compared to HomeHub v2

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Other routers on the market do offer many more features than the routers supplied by Sky. Considering the Sky routers are a plug & go job, for the majority of people who are not computer literate, they are a good product IMHO.

For those who want a little more out of their home network, there are better options.

It is possible to change the BT HomeHub to work on the Sky BB. The links have been provided if you are interested in doing this. If you don't want to do it yourself, contact a local PC shop and see if they can help you.
      I am computer literate, but not to a really advanced level. As far as the schedule feature is concerned though, it's certainly not something I'd call user friendly. The thing I'm a bit concerned about is I've heard about Sky cutting people off if they try and play with the routers and/or use other routers and I don't want that happening.
      CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz
      GPU: AMD Radeon HD6850 1gb
      RAM: Corsair 4gb DDR2
      O/S: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Sky router is rubbish compared to HomeHub v2

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarJammin'76 View Post
      I am computer literate, but not to a really advanced level. As far as the schedule feature is concerned though, it's certainly not something I'd call user friendly. The thing I'm a bit concerned about is I've heard about Sky cutting people off if they try and play with the routers and/or use other routers and I don't want that happening.
      We all have different levels of experience and knowledge. You've managed to set up the scheduling on the HomeHub, I'm sure that you can change the default BT account settings to the Sky settings will be quite easy.

As for being disconnected by Sky, I was reading the story that one link goes to, but it seems that a mistake was made and the person was cut off for the wrong reason.

Personally when I joined I wanted to get a similar speed to what I had with my previous ISP. They maxed me at 17.1Mb/s with 1.3Mb/s up stream with annex A or 15.4/2.3 with annex M. I admitted that everything should have been capable of getting this as I was using the same router (my own).

Sadly she couldn't get me the speed improvement, but I certainly wasn't cut off.

The router I use is WiFi n enabled, hence my argument that it too is better than the Sky router.

Provided that you keep the Sky router, in case of an issue and to keep the login details unique to you, there should be no issue as far as I'm concerned.

If Sky were to argue that I should use their router, which is a lower spec, I am sure I could find a friendly barrister to argue that they were enforcing a set of unfair terms and conditions. My line is one that only goes to my home, the router signs into their servers, the router doesn't cause any spurious issues and my account is paid up to date.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123