Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sky router is rubbish compared to HomeHub v2

This is a discussion on Sky router is rubbish compared to HomeHub v2 within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; my firmware is Version V2.02.44 i only have Disable WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key) WPA-802.1x ...

irradiated is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: workington
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Sky router is rubbish compared to HomeHub v2

my firmware is Version V2.02.44
      i only have
      Disable
      WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)
      WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)
      WPA-802.1x

looking at the help files the updates are automatic so do i just wait na done day itll update?
      Connection Speed 7302 kbps 963 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47 db 27 db
      Noise Margin 6 db 7 db

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by irradiated View Post
      ...looking at the help files the updates are automatic so do i just wait na done day itll update?
      Yep

..or may be two or three days.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

irradiated is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: workington
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

thought as much, prolly be a long wait too
      i really want a new gigabit one but thats another forum post lol
      Connection Speed 7302 kbps 963 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47 db 27 db
      Noise Margin 6 db 7 db

GuitarJammin'76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I stand by what I said. I had to reset the router to default today and now, I can't block the Xbox 360's access to the router. I followed exactly the same (convoluted and not user friendly) instructions I was given before - that's no fault of the person who helped me, more a fault of the people who designed the scheduling process on the Sagem router!

I mean, you can make a list of MAC Addresses that the router can connect to easily enough, what the hell is wrong with being able to click on each MAC Address and create a schedule for it, instead of this LAN, WAN, IP Address stuff. Not all of us are computer whiz-kids, you know.

With the HomeHub, as I said, it's as easy as pie and you can create as many schedules as you like. But unlike Sky, BT's service and line is rubbish, hence the switch to Sky.

I know you can limit the time on the console by using the family timer, but what about the PC? If you set up a standard account for a child so you can use the timer, every time they want to make the slightest change to the system, such as installing a new program, you need to enter the admin password. What if you're not around? The idea of this sort of thing is to control how the kids use the computer, not cripple their ability to to something like install a new bloody game!!
      CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz
      GPU: AMD Radeon HD6850 1gb
      RAM: Corsair 4gb DDR2
      O/S: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

The Sky router is like any other router on the Market. BT made their own front end to make things easier. It's not Sky's fault
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarJammin'76 View Post
      I stand by what I said. I had to reset the router to default today and now, I can't block the Xbox 360's access to the router. I followed exactly the same (convoluted and not user friendly) instructions I was given before - that's no fault of the person who helped me, more a fault of the people who designed the scheduling process on the Sagem router!

I mean, you can make a list of MAC Addresses that the router can connect to easily enough, what the hell is wrong with being able to click on each MAC Address and create a schedule for it, instead of this LAN, WAN, IP Address stuff. Not all of us are computer whiz-kids, you know.
      IWasNotTheEnemy, I believe, has answered this.

With the HomeHub, as I said, it's as easy as pie and you can create as many schedules as you like. But unlike Sky, BT's service and line is rubbish, hence the switch to Sky.
      They are different products. Whilst personally I would agree with you (raw speed, customer service, cost), BT does offer a 2nd line (through the router) and a WiFi service that you can connect to for no additional cost outside your home area (BT OpenZone & BTFon). Some people will appreciate these things, but not the majority, with BT forcing them on all customers with the HomeHub v2.

Sky's Unlimited BB package is never throttled back. They don't secretly monitor your usage with illegal software so that they can target you with advertisements tailored to your browsing and they don't cap you for lots of torrents.

Please note: Sky BB Lite and Connect are different products that do have usage caps. I was specifically referring to the Unlimited BB product.

I know you can limit the time on the console by using the family timer, but what about the PC? If you set up a standard account for a child so you can use the timer, every time they want to make the slightest change to the system, such as installing a new program, you need to enter the admin password. What if you're not around? The idea of this sort of thing is to control how the kids use the computer, not cripple their ability to to something like install a new bloody game!!
      Firstly, earlier in this thread, 'fuzzy logic' posted in #7 some links for you to follow. These links provide you with the necessary information to read up on in order to change the BT HomeHub so that you can use it on a non-BT ADSL account.

Secondly, there is a whole section within the members only area that will provide you with the information you need to obtain you Sky Router's sign-on details. Once obtained, you can then update the BT HomeHub so that it can be used on the Sky BB.

Thirdly, the admin password on your PC is absolutely nothing to do with Sky or this forum. It has everything to do with Microsoft Windows and how you have set up your computer. I'd suggest reading in more detail elsewhere about 'Administrator Privileges' and 'User Accounts'. Alternatively, your children will have to wait until either your or your partner can authorise the said installation of new software.

I am sure that you are a very capable person. Reading the various links provided in this post and others in this thread should resolve the issues that you have.

Good Luck

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Well, the user interface functionality of the black sky routers seems to have been based on the white Netgear router that was originally supplied by Sky, presumably to make providing support a little bit easier, although they have redesigned the layout and colour scheme to make it less user friendly, and they do seem to have overlooked some of the error pages which still have the Netgear turquoisey-blue colour.

Now, the Netgear firmware used crontab to implement its very basic schedule feature, and iptables (aka netfilter) to filter IP addresses, and I don't think the version of iptables used in netgear's firmware supported MAC filtering (although I could be wrong), this might have originally been to keep memory and CPU usage to a minimum.

I would imagine BT decided to provide a better featured router to help differentiate themselves from other ISPs, as they'd struggle to compete on price with the LLU isps, whereas sky appear to pretty much go for the cheapest reasonable quality hardware that they can source.

My personal preference would be to be provided with a cheap dependable router and ready access to a password so I can use my own.
      Last edited by fuzzy logic; 13-01-11 at 03:10 PM.

GuitarJammin'76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      The Sky router is like any other router on the Market. BT made their own front end to make things easier. It's not Sky's fault
      So this is what the majority of routers are like then? No point looking into getting a new one then.

Isn't there any software you can use so you have similar functionality as the BT HomeHub? Proper software, I'm not giving any random freeware download from the 'net access to my router - I believe I said that before.
      Thirdly, the admin password on your PC is absolutely nothing to do with Sky or this forum. It has everything to do with Microsoft Windows and how you have set up your computer. I'd suggest reading in more detail elsewhere about 'Administrator Privileges' and 'User Accounts'. Alternatively, your children will have to wait until either your or your partner can authorise the said installation of new software.
      I didn't change a thing - all I did was set up an admin account for me and a standard account for the kids. I have done tons of reading about Admin privileges and user accounts and nothing I've read solves the problem.
      CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz
      GPU: AMD Radeon HD6850 1gb
      RAM: Corsair 4gb DDR2
      O/S: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Thanks

So this is what the majority of routers are like then? No point looking into getting a new one then.

Isn't there any software you can use so you have similar functionality as the BT HomeHub? Proper software, I'm not giving any random freeware download from the 'net access to my router - I believe I said that before.
      Other routers on the market do offer many more features than the routers supplied by Sky. Considering the Sky routers are a plug & go job, for the majority of people who are not computer literate, they are a good product IMHO.

For those who want a little more out of their home network, there are better options.

It is possible to change the BT HomeHub to work on the Sky BB. The links have been provided if you are interested in doing this. If you don't want to do it yourself, contact a local PC shop and see if they can help you.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

As said, other routers offer more features but the configuration of other routers will be more similar to the Sky router than the HomeHub
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast