Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No connection please help?

This is a discussion on No connection please help? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have a Netgear Dg834GT and Max which I have had for years, and in all that te I think ...

boomish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No connection please help?

I have a Netgear Dg834GT and Max which I have had for years, and in all that te I think only 1 or 2 disconnections, yesterday morning the Internet went off, a quick reboot of the router brought it back. Now this evening it has gone with no sign or returning
      I spoke to Sky who seem to think it is the router as the line test showed the port was up, unfortunatly the conn status shows no connection, do these routers suddenly go wrong? I am suspicious this isn't correct. Nothing has changed, I am electrical engineer and have checked all connections, there are no extensions and the routers sits right next to the master line socket.

Any idea's or experiences? I am currently waiting for Sky to call me back as he has raised it to lvl 2 status which means waiting up to 72 hours!!!!

Appreciate any help or advice
      Alan

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: No connection please help?

Call back and have tier 1 pass you to CST. If you've already tried the router into the test socket (behind the faceplate if you have a nte5) with another filter and no extension cables in use, then there's only a couple of other things to do (config changes, line test & SELT). If all the tests come back as fine and the port still shows down and no internet light, then if it's a phase 1 white netgear you have, the router will likely be replaced.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

boomish (08-01-11)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks I hadn't thought about the test socket, I shall try that, Yes it's a phase 1 Netgear about 5-6 years old, I do have a spare which I tried but that is the same, I presume though the router has to be linked with the line?
      The guy said I can't phone back before 72 hours and ask for the CST, funny he said that! He did say the port was up it should work, what should I ring and ask them to do?
      Thanks so much for the advice, killer not having the net over the weekend.
      Cheers
      alan

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Just to confirm - of the situations listed below, what is the status is the internet light ('i' symbol) at the moment?

Green: You should have sync and PPP. You're best pinging the router and a website and replying with the packets sent/received/lost.

Solid amber: You don't have PPP and port status will typically be 'up' on Sky's end but no IP address; could be an exchange issue, suspended router or probably just a stale session.

Off/flashing amber (I think this is probably the situation you're in): No sync and port status will typically be 'down' on Sky's end. Port should show down on Sky's end, so I'm not sure why the advisor suggested it would have been 'up', but then again there are instances where the internet light can be off yet port up on Sky's end. Did tier 1 run a 'tone test' at all, where you would have heard some beeping down the landline?

In regards to trying another router - you can use it to establish if it'll gain sync, but it won't authenticate and get an IP address.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

boomish (08-01-11)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi thanks again for the reply, yes your right there is no flashing "I" no snyc or ppp. I tried connecting to the socket behind but still nothing I haven't tried another filter yet as I can't find my spares if those yet.
      I tried my spare Sky router but that's the same, but then again that router may well have the same fault.
      Oh and no they didn't do a line test no.
      Dam how long will I have to wait for a new router!

Thanks again for the feedback at least I tried.

BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Have you checked the power supply unit?

They have been known to brakedown.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BritBrat For This Useful Post:

boomish (08-01-11)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Very good hadn't thought of the power supply doh! I tried a spare and nope no change nice try tho thanks.
      Looks I'll just have to wait for Sky to call..