Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Boosting Router Signal/Range

This is a discussion on Boosting Router Signal/Range within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have had a good read of this forum and others so i am not entirely clueless but researching routers/networks ...

ChTT is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Question Boosting Router Signal/Range

I have had a good read of this forum and others so i am not entirely clueless but researching routers/networks makes my head spin. I would class myself as above average in terms of 'home computing' too.

Its the same old story; my parents house is pretty big and the Segem cannot reach the kitchen and living room (where they would, ideally, like to use it). They don't want to move the router as it is used in 'the office/study'. It seems like there are a few options availalbe; homeplugs, purchase a repeater, use an old router as a repeater, change the sky router...

I am leaning toward getting them this repeater from Ebuyer Edimax EW-7416APn Wireless-N Range Extender / Access.. |

They do have an old Belkin F5D7632-4 which was great but they do not want to break sky T&C by replacing the Segem. I could probably set this up as a repeater BUT i don't live there so it might be easier for them if I just go round with the Edimax, quick (hopefully) install. Done.

Can anyone give me any advice/suggestions? would this work?

Thank you!

2. Advertisement
      nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Paying more to get Unlimited so that I get the same service as the MID I signed up for
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Horsham, West Sussex

Re: Boosting Router Signal/Range

Probably but no guarnatees with wireless I'm afraid.

Ideally you need to place it in a location closer to where you want to use the laptops but where you are still getting a good signal.

You will only acheive the worst bandwidth in the chain.

Example Position A
      Laptop to Repeater = 40Mbps
      Repeater to Laptop = 5Mbps
      Resultant connection = 5Mbps

Example Position B
      Laptop to Repeater = 25Mbps
      Repeater to Laptop = 20Mbps
      Resultant connection = 20Mbps

Remember whilst the laptop may be able to connector to the repeater at N (if the laptop has an appropriate wireless card), the repeater can only talk to the router at G.

If you used the existing router you could either use this as a repeater (as above) or you could plug it into the existing router, turning off the wireless on the Sky router. That way you could have a full N connection which may give you better bandwidth at the kitchen\living room. This does no violate the T&Cs.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD

Re: Boosting Router Signal/Range

Get a pair of homeplugs if you want ease of use and setup, you can even get one with a wireless point built in to extend the range for laptops etc.