Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Settings for Sky on different Router?

This is a discussion on Settings for Sky on different Router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've just started Sky, D-link router. I'm not quite sure I like the router over my Belkin. I can't even ...

Xirix is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Settings for Sky on different Router?

I've just started Sky, D-link router. I'm not quite sure I like the router over my Belkin. I can't even seem to simply disable the router's Firewall.

I was just wondering, after I get my username and password, what settings does Sky LLU Unlimited need?

I know it's PPPoA, but what do I need for...

VPI/VCI ( 0/38 on old router)
      Encapsulation ( VC/MUX on old router )
      MTU ( 1400 on old router, but 1500 default on the D-Link)

Also, I'm currently advised to keep the router on for 10 days-ish since it's a new connection, should I just suck it up and wait until that period has expired before changing back to my old router?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Settings for Sky on different Router?

The settings are the same with Sky who use a default 1500 for the MTU.

I would definitely recommend keeping the Dlink plugged in until DLM is finished, just in case you need to call Sky support..

Unless you have a good hardware firewall, why would you want to turn the firewall off? It is your first line of protection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mannyo1221 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01258
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You should not turn the routers firewall off, if you do you open every device you connect to potential hackers.

The router firewall is your main line of defence on the internet, if you are having issues with things like gaming then you should configure the firewall for port forwarding to the appropriate console/device. Settings for XBOX Live and PSN are on the relevant support forums.

I am using the DLINK router and it seems fine, if a little basic in the functionalilty stakes, I have an XBOX 360 which is connected just fine through it without even configuring the firewall.

If you do decide to change, then you'll also need to extract the username and password of the internet login from the router, this is not the same as the SSID broadcast and key on the router. Instructions on how to do this are on this forum, although I cannot find the link at the moment.

Xirix is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Ah good to know, I'll keep the old settings and up the MTU by 100 then. Cheers.

Edit : Seems my router will only take 1492 as the MTU.. is the missing 8 going to be a problem?
      Last edited by Xirix; 14-01-11 at 03:49 PM.