Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Why change ?

This is a discussion on Why change ? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all It seems a lot of people are swapping their routers, is this just because their original one has ...

JimM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chessington
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Why change ?

Hi all

It seems a lot of people are swapping their routers, is this just because their original one has given up the ghost or does swapping out to a different one give speed improvements.

If the latter what sort of speed improvements can you expect

Cheers

Jim

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Why change ?

You will not get much if any speed improvement, you might even get less depending on the router you use.
      Most use other routers to give them access to different settings like QoS or VoiP phones etc. Others do it just because they can.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Why change ?

A lot of people want better wireless range, and/or wireless N. Quite a few new customers will already own a better router they had bought while they were with their previous ISP, and want to continue using it.

The difference in speed between the best and worst performing router I've tried on my connection was over 1000 kbps. Most people see much less than that, and a few people find that the same model that performed by far the worst on my line, is the one that performs best on theirs!