Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Loss of sync.

This is a discussion on Loss of sync. within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Since the cold snap took hold ive been having a few issues with my connection. Basically at random times of ...

Bluebaws is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Loss of sync.

Since the cold snap took hold ive been having a few issues with my connection.

Basically at random times of the day the router drops connection and flashes an orange light on the router. It lasts for 10/20 seconds the carries on as normal.

Connection Speed 8123 kbps 862 kbps
      Line Attenuation 38 db 20 db
      Noise Margin 15 db 12 db

Those are the stats when working normally. They dont change once its reconnected either and are pretty similar through the test socket.

Everything is set up as should be and it has been working great for as long as i can remember.

Could the cold weather be an issue as the problem seemed to improve as the temperature rose for a few days last week.

Dunno if this helps but here were the router logs from when it happened first thing this morning.

Mon, 2010-12-20 07:00:04 - Loss of synchronization :
      Mon, 2010-12-20 07:29:35 - Loss of synchronization :
      Mon, 2010-12-20 07:40:05 - Loss of synchronization :
      Mon, 2010-12-20 07:49:35 - Loss of synchronization :
      Mon, 2010-12-20 08:21:36 - Loss of synchronization :
      Mon, 2010-12-20 08:32:06 - Loss of synchronization :
      Mon, 2010-12-20 10:24:08 - Loss of synchronization :
      Mon, 2010-12-20 11:32:10 - Loss of synchronization :

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Loss of sync.

The cold weather can effect your connection as it causes joints to contract and possibly loose full connection. As your stats stand they show you are quite heavily capped. You should be syncing at 10-11Mb. It is possible, with your disconnections, DLM has kicked in and capped you.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Do you have the phase 1 netgear as per your details? If so, can you get your detailed stats via the following link. Before you do, ensure you do the following first:

Plug the router into the test socket with, preferably, a different filter. Use only the short grey dsl cable that Sky supplied and nothing else plugged into the filter. Just the router. Also, check if you have any noise on the landline.

Obviously as the sync is intermittent, you can't judge when it's going to next drop out, but once you've plugged into the test socket with another filter then if you can wait until there is a good few minutes uptime at least before taking the detailed stats.

Mel's Notes: Sky Netgear DG834GT-1skuk

Bluebaws is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Sorry i dont even know why i put the 834 router in my profile. Its the 934 that i have.

Also its a cap that i had requested as when it was synced at 10.5mb the downstream noise margin would drop off in the evening causing resets. I opted for the speed i have now to give me a stable connection.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Sorry i dont even know why i put the 834 router in my profile. Its the 934 that i have.

You probably didn't, it is the default and unless you change it it will show in your Profile.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebaws View Post

Also its a cap that i had requested as when it was synced at 10.5mb the downstream noise margin would drop off in the evening causing resets. I opted for the speed i have now to give me a stable connection.
      Ok, well if you monitor any loss of sync and have confirmed the following:

- tried the test socket
      - swapped filter
      - no extensions
      - no noise on the landline

Then you need to contact Sky and see what their next action is i.e replacement router or broadband engineer.