Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Adding an extra Edimax Router problem

This is a discussion on Adding an extra Edimax Router problem within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Key Sky Router (SR) Edimax Router (ER) Edimax Wireless Access Point (AP) Hi All I need some help setting up ...

i_hawk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Adding an extra Edimax Router problem

Key

Sky Router (SR)
      Edimax Router (ER)
      Edimax Wireless Access Point (AP)

Hi All

I need some help setting up a robust wireless network.

Youíll have to bear with me on this one though as I have done quite a bit of tinkering so far (now might be a good time to grab a cuppa)

I have a Sky Netgear V2 (modem / router), an Edimax BR-6574n (Wireless Router) and an Edimax EW-7416APn V2 (Wireless Access Point). Keyed as above for ease of reading.
      I initially setup a stable wireless network by plugging in my AP via a LAN cable to may SR selecting Universal Repeater Mode on the wifi settings. This worked great and gave me much more coverage than the SR.

So, I thought great why donít I get the ER to further extend the range around the house.

The plan was to have the SR then a patch LAN cable to the ER and the AP to be connected wirelessly to the ER for access to the poorer reception areas of the house.

Well, using the same process on the ER that I did for the AP, I connected the ER to the SR via a LAN cable and changed the settings to Access Point and Universal Repeater.
      The difference though between the ER and the AP is the addition of a WAN page forcing me to select either:

Dynamic IP
      Static IP
      PPPoE
      PPTP
      L2TP
      Telstra Big Pond
      WISP

I have selected both Dynamic IP and PPPoE (completing the fields with sky modem user name and password)

So, hereís the issue. In whatever variables I select, I can connect wirelessly to the internet, but only for about half an hour then it dies, although I can still connect to the ER, just not the internet.
      The weird thing is though is that my AP which is set as a Universal Repeater connects to the ER wirelessly and allows me to connect to the internet even when my ER doesnít.

This is giving me such a headache that Iím thinking of buying another AP and sending the ER back.!!!!

PLEASE HELP

2. Advertisement
      i_hawk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Adding an extra Edimax Router problem

Update on this thread, as I could cope with the deluge of replies...

I have been on the follow thread Adding 2nd router to extend wifi range?

isitme has been the font of al knowledge there. feel free to look.