Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

new sky router being sent

This is a discussion on new sky router being sent within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; and there isn't any disadvantages? they just on purpose configure people to lower speeds?(others?)? p.s can they tell what router ...

mstar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: new sky router being sent

and there isn't any disadvantages? they just on purpose configure people to lower speeds?(others?)?

p.s can they tell what router i am using?

2. Advertisement
      fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The Sky Dlink is based on the DSL 2640B which is a very popular router.

No its not, the dsl 2640B uses a different broadcom chipset, with the switch in a separate chip, and different wifi chip. sky firmware vs official firmware

Although part of the firmware would presumably have been developed from the dsl2640B's.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mstar View Post
      how can a novice like me convince sky its capped lol won't they say "so why do u think that sonny boy" is there something technically i should say?
      Is there any disadvantage? phone line calls?

I suppose using my D-Link wont make a difference.

btw its plugged in master socket and i use Sky talk,on sky unlimited.
      I would try the D-link, to see if you get a higher noise margin, which would give you a better sync speed once the cap has been removed.

The black netgear is based on the AR7 chipset, the D-link is broadcom based. Most people seem to find that broadcom based routers sync reliably at a higher rate than AR7 based ones, although that's not always the case, as it also depends on your line and the dslam.

Tricky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01424
      Broadband ISP: Talktalk fast
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Just been hunting through for router info, and found this, so i need to ask a couple of questions, not to up on routers, i started out with a limited package, but now have the unlimited package, and have always suffered quite slow speeds, which is supposed to be down to my phone line,

I originally had a D-link router about two and half years ago, and sky replaced it with the Net-gear DG834GT (white), which seemed to work a lot better, but speeds where still slow, so i rewired my inside phone lines etc and managed to get the sky engineers to remove the auto limiter on my connection, as it kept turning it down after being reset, so i see about 6.5 meg if I'm lucky, but recently i talked to someone in my area with sky and they got 8meg average, and they are a lot farther from the exchange than me.

So i contacted sky again, and an engineer called me back and ran a few more tests on my line etc, and was of the opinion that it could be a problem with my router, and agreed to send me another, which turned up this morning, and its another D-link, which appearers to be exactly the same as the old one i had over two years ago, so i am reluctant to change them over and activate the new one for fear i will be back at square one, with an even slower connection, and then it will be difficult or impossible to change back to the old Net-gear one.

So whats going on, the new router says don't try and connect before April 08, so it must be one of the old ones!
      Must admit that i am getting so fed up with sky in general that i am seriously thinking of quitting before long,
      Would appreciate some feedback on this from those in the know? thanks!
      Last edited by Tricky; 08-01-11 at 10:57 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sky's previous routers were a white Netgear, the black Netgear, a Sagem and the d-link was released last year.

I also don't see any reason why you shouldn't go back to using the netgear if the D-link doesn't work out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy logic View Post
      Sky's previous routers were a white Netgear, the black Netgear, a Sagem and the d-link was released last year.

I also don't see any reason why you shouldn't go back to using the netgear if the D-link doesn't work out.
      If thats the case, why have i still got the old one from over two years ago? and its identical to the replacement? which as i said must
      have been manufactured before the 03/08 registration date.

I also thought that once you register/start using a new router, the old ones registration is defunct?

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

The new D Link router that Sky are sending out now, only started getting sent out from mid 2010 ish.

I'm more inclined to think that the router Sky sent you out 2 years ago was the Sagem version, has these are identical in appearance to the new D Link routers that Sky are sending out now. A friend of mine has the Sagem router and I can confirm that it's identical in appearance to the new D Link router, it's just the innards that are different, i.e chipsets.

Too be honest I was pleasantly surprised at the new D Link router. It's got a better wireless range than my Netgear DG 834 GT had, and I also find the D Link to be a very stable router. I currently have approximately 1800 hours and it's never needed a reboot.

mstar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

guys i got my D-Link router i was going to do a back-to-back comparison.
      How can i do a fair test? Should i:

1. Turn wirless off and boot each router and check sync speeds etc etc (what should i look for btw?)
      2. Turn wireless on (both configured with same wireless SSID, passwords etc)
      then test wireless coverage (how do i do that??)

my 2 routers are the D-Link i got given recently and the old DG934???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tal71 View Post
      The new D Link router that Sky are sending out now, only started getting sent out from mid 2010 ish.

I'm more inclined to think that the router Sky sent you out 2 years ago was the Sagem version, has these are identical in appearance to the new D Link routers that Sky are sending out now. A friend of mine has the Sagem router and I can confirm that it's identical in appearance to the new D Link router, it's just the innards that are different, i.e chipsets.

Too be honest I was pleasantly surprised at the new D Link router. It's got a better wireless range than my Netgear DG 834 GT had, and I also find the D Link to be a very stable router. I currently have approximately 1800 hours and it's never needed a reboot.

Interesting, but i have just checked the old router, and it is marked as Netgear, yet it looks identical to the D-link, the most worrying part of the new router is that it has a sticker that says don't connect until 03/08, so its basically saying that its three years old, unless there is a mistake?

Is the functionality of the D-link the same as the Netgear? IE being able to configure DNS server etc?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

The Netgear DG934, Sagem Fast 2504 and D-Link all have the same housing
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast