Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Here's my line error stats :o(

This is a discussion on Here's my line error stats :o( within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; OK, following on from previous threads (thanks to User05 and IsItme for their help thus far), I have now obtained ...

GaryK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Here's my line error stats :o(

OK, following on from previous threads (thanks to User05 and IsItme for their help thus far), I have now obtained my router's line error stats.
      Now, I'm even going to start to pretend that I understand them, BUT the numbers don't look too good to me.....

Before the stats, a quick recap of recent events....
      • Unstable connection (drops when phone rings)
      • 2 x BT engineer visits that have resolved the phone drop outs, but my connection is both slow and unstable (all the time now)
      • Many calls to Sky Lvl2 BB support
      • Everything disconnected internally except for router in test socket (with micro filter)
      • There is absolutely nothing else whatsoever connected to my phone line
      • BT engineer visit tomorrow morning (not sure if LL1 or LL5)

OK, now for the stats:

xdslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Retrain Reason: 1
      Latest 15 minutes time = 8 min 2 sec
      FEC: 146866 0
      CRC: 9401 0
      ES: 168 0
      SES: 168 0
      UAS: 217 217
      LOS: 6 0
      LOF: 48 0

Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      FEC: 188925 0
      CRC: 16440 0
      ES: 290 0
      SES: 290 0
      UAS: 463 463
      LOS: 11 0
      LOF: 88 0

Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
      FEC: 24641641 159
      CRC: 895225 0
      ES: 37786 0
      SES: 15184 0
      UAS: 23378 23378
      LOS: 597 0
      LOF: 4778 0

I live in a residential area (Aylesbury) and am 2.5km from the exchange.
      The downstream link is something in the 4,000's and Attenuation is low 40's.
      Prior to having BT engineer, I was getting a steady 5-6 Mbps for several years (according to SpeedTest.net). Now I'm lucky if I get 2 Mbps.
      Yesterday, after 2 days of the router constantly resetting itself, the connection did seem to stabalize at 2364 kbps which gave me between 1 and 1.5 Mbps, but today it is back to the almost constant loop of resetting (

Something just isn't right. BT claim to have checked outside and were blaming my internal cabling. This has been eliminated by removing all other devices & extensions from my master socket.

What should I be saying to the BT engineer tomorrow and what should I be asking? Also, what (if anything) can I expect from the visit?
      Or maybe I should give up and move to Virgin BB (at least double the cost of Sky if taken on it's own). Maybe if this is not resolved I'll move my entire SKy package to Virgin - afterall, the several Sky reps have promissed to get my BB fixed, but I think it may be out of their hands and that BT are the only ones who can resolve.

Many Thanks
      Gary

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Here's my line error stats :o(

A lot of errors being produced there, it's no wonder it's unstable.

I have a funny feeling that two LL1s (standard phone/bb engineer) were incorrectly booked previously who aren't going to be able to diagnose your issue. The fault needs logged to a LL5 (broadband Special Faults Investigator) and hopefully it'll be a SFI who has been booked for tomorrow.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

You have changed your filter haven't you just in case? What attenuation and noise margin do you have in your router stat page?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Connection Speed: 4608 kbps
      Attenuation: 43.0 db
      Noise Margin: 7.3 db

Exchange:
      Thanks

Is that in the test socket? If not can you post a set from the test socket too, this will show if internal wiring is skewing the connection. Odds are it's external and as stated you need a proper ADSL faults engineer sent out.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Paul,

Yes it's in the test socket (and has been for 3 or 4 days now).
      Your previous question about the filter.....
      Sky sent me a new router last week and I have tried using that (with the new filter, power supply, etc), but same problem.

What the previous BT engineers have said is that they have tested from the cabinet in the street and they see no problems, although they both mentioned that it could be the cable outside leading to the house which is buried. If this is the case, then they haven't been too confident that BT would resolve that (would have to dig the cable up).

Anyway, as per User05, I am hoping that it's an SFI coming tomorrow - I dont know if I can put up with many more calls to Sky Lvl2 and then waiting a few days for the next BT engineer to come and do naff all (in terms of resolving the problem)

Exchange:
      Thanks

So they haven't tested back to your test socket? Where is the point in that? They need to test all the way back to your test socket to show that their side of the connection is 100%. If the line from cab to property is faulty then they would need to pull a new line if it runs from an underground box/ pit. Unfortunately this is what happens when Openreach don't do their job right

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      So they haven't tested back to your test socket? Where is the point in that? They need to test all the way back to your test socket to show that their side of the connection is 100%. If the line from cab to property is faulty then they would need to pull a new line if it runs from an underground box/ pit. Unfortunately this is what happens when Openreach don't do their job right
      I think that they have tested from the cabinet up to a certain point - either to the path out the front of our house, or all the way the test socket (not entirely sure). Today, I'm going to make absolutely sure who the guy is (regular engineer / SFI) and exactly what & where he is testing, and obviously what he finds.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Not one, but two SFI's

They seem to have found a fault between the cabinet in the street and the "hole" in the path running alongside the road.

At last, I am starting to be somewhat optimistic that this is going to get resolved (touch wood!).

I'll report back later.

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK, so the SFI's have just left....

They did find a fault between the cabinet and the path outside - this was fixed.
      However, they cannot get a sync at my test socket, so they said that Sky will now have to book a "dig out" team to come and dig up the lead-in.

I'll give it a couple of hours (for the SFI to add notes to the call) and then I'll call Sky and see what they are going to do. Or rather, whether the dig is likely to happen.

The strange thing is, despite SFI not being able to sync, I am now using my Sky BB with Speedtest.net stats of anywhere between 1.5 and 3.8 Mbps!!!
      Mel's authenticity is reporting 8.7 million FEC over a 15 minute window!!!

I'm tempted to reboot the router to see what happens. Not the best idea I guess - I mean I might have a stable connection at a reasonable speed. But I would now like to re-locate the router (now that both BT and Sky have agreed that the problem is not internal).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast