Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sky BB stability and speed issues

This is a discussion on Sky BB stability and speed issues within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; When Sky refer a case to Openreach for broadband issues, it can go two ways basically. If Sky's line test ...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky BB stability and speed issues

When Sky refer a case to Openreach for broadband issues, it can go two ways basically. If Sky's line test returns a fault, then it's logged for a LL1 (standard phone/broadband engineer). If Sky's line test passes, then I'm surprised they haven't booked a LL5 (special broadband only engineer).

All-in-all, you need a LL5 booked.

2. Advertisement
      GaryK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Update.....
      After a couple of days of no internet access (router continually connecting for a couple of seconds, then dropping, the connecting, etc), today I got a stable connection with a downstream of 2364kbps - not great, but working.
      However, I rebooted the router a while ago and it seems to be in the same old loop as before. WHen I check the downstream, it is reporting 4608kbps.
      I guess that either automatically (or manually by BT or Sky - neither of which I have spoken to in the past couple of days) my connection was downgraded to 2364kbps. Either way, this is not acceptable being approx 2.5km from the exchange and having had 5-6Mbps for several years.

On another note, am I right in assuming that speedtest.net defaults to the nearest server? What I have seen is a change from the Milton Keynes server (for the past God knows how long) to London on Thursday and now it is defaulting to Maidenhead.
      Is there any explanation to this? Maybe BT are doing something at my exchange?

chrisjen24 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky talk
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Had the same problem told by Sky connections inside the house. BT engineer came out tried everything finally found it was wiring from box on outside wall.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjen24 View Post
      Had the same problem told by Sky connections inside the house. BT engineer came out tried everything finally found it was wiring from box on outside wall.
      Bloody frustrating, isn't it!
      It has taken almost 2 weeks for them to figure out my problem and I am now waiting for contractors to dig and Openreach to replace the cable.

I must say though, that on the whole, Sky have been excellent in dealing with the issue, although some of the Sky support folks have been terrible. I guess it's "luck of th draw" when you call up.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well, contractors have been today...
      Dug a channel, laid a plastic pipe and filled the channel.
      Hopefully BT/OpenReach will be here tomorrow or Monday to pull a new cable through and connect everything up.

My 6 year old son is going to be gutted that he missed the men with their digger and assortment of other big tools. Took some photos for him!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Latest update....

The cable leading to the house was replaced on Friday and I left the router up all over the weekend.
      Phoned Sky today to get them to increase the link speed and guess what.....still loads of errors!

The Sky rep said that OpenReach had closed the issue (for replacing the cable), but there was still an issue open with a department (something like "Design and ???"). He said that they cannot open a new issue to get another LL5 out whilst the existing was still open.

So, to recap this ongoing issue....
      • Several LL1's been out with no improvement
      • LL5 investigated and said that the cable leading to the house needed replacing
      • Public path & garden dug up and new cable laid
      • OpenReach connected up the cable

I have a filter plugged directly into the TEST socket and then the router and telephone in the filter (removal of phone has been tried - no difference). Tried 2 new or newish routers supplied by Sky, changed filters, etc.

The only other thing that I can think off (but has been discredited by various people at Sky & BT/OpenReach) is could it be my electrics? Is there any possibility that there could be substantial electrical interference in the house that be causing this? I suppose I could 100% eliminate this by shutting down the electric at the consumer unit and ask my neighbour to plug an electric extension cable in his house and power the router from that.
      Is it worthwhile trying this?

Or maybe we have a supernatural presence in the house that is causing the problem. Time to call in paranormal investigators? lol

Seriously though, the Sky rep did say that maybe there is a problem with the BT cabinet and that it could need replacing. It would be interesting to find out if anyone else in our street has Sky BB and if so, see what their line stats are like.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

So this boils down to an underground section of cable replaced, and the fault still present. I also think it is unlikely to be your home electrics, but your idea of switching off the supply would certainly prove it one way or another.
      When the new underground cable was connected, does it connect directly to your master socket, or is there a joint box on the outside of your home where the new cable connects to the existing cable to the master socket?
      If there is a joint box, were tests carried out there before it was decided to replace the underground cable?
      Last edited by Brian69; 06-12-10 at 06:37 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The old cable came up through the foundations, so I dont think there was a junction box.
      When the new cable was connected I had the master socket relocated and the cable is coming directly through the wall with no junction box.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

O.K. Well it looks like it is back to Sky and further investigation. How frustrating this problem must be, but there seems little else you can do other than badger Sky.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

I wonder how long Sky will go with it as there's only so much they can spend before they hold their hands up and admit defeat...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast