Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cannot access wifi on the the new DLink router

This is a discussion on Cannot access wifi on the the new DLink router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Cannot access wifi on the the new DLink router, the connection just times out. I am mainly on a wired ...

Graemezee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Cannot access wifi on the the new DLink router

Cannot access wifi on the the new DLink router, the connection just times out.
      I am mainly on a wired network which is working fine.

I had the Sagem and three days ago I lost the internet altogether Sky tested the line and router said it was the line and are sending an engineer. Three days later still no service so swap the Sagem for the new DLink Internet back on so not the line but a faulty router.

I had complained about the router previously its crapy wifi. It took so long for the new router to turn up I found out how to use my BT N home hub2 as a wireless access point. so never bothered to change the Sagem.

As Wifi is still available via the home hub access point its not a problem but i hate unresolved issues would like to know why the router cannot be accessed via wifi.

2. Advertisement
      Wingco is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Re: Cannot access wifi on the the new DLink router

I was just going to ask the same question until I saw this thread. Exactly the same problem with one particular laptop and the D-Link. However other laptops connect without a problem. The wifi link reports connected local only. The problem lappy has been used on another network via a Netgear wifi connection for a couple of years. I also brought it home and connected to my ST 585v6 without a hitch.

Hoping someone may have suggestions as ethernet isn't an option, and I doubt Sky would replace the router as we have proved using another machine that the router does connect via wifi.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As Wifi is still available via the home hub access point its not a problem but i hate unresolved issues would like to know why the router cannot be accessed via wifi.
      The Home Hub has far superior wireless performance, N standard if your devices support it. Many would have advised you to do this in the first place. Be happy and forget about the Sky routers wifi

Exactly the same problem with one particular laptop and the D-Link. However other laptops connect without a problem
      Usually this is a case of outdated or corrupt drivers. Go to the laptop manufacturers site, download and install the latest drivers, even if Windows tells you you have the latest ones. Also make sure you are using the Windows Wireless Manager, some of the managers supplied by the adapter manufacturers are not too good.

If you do that and it makes no difference, try giving the laptop a fixed IP, something like 192.168.0.100.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Tom I'll try that. However seeing that the lappy connects to a different make router, I would have thought the drivers would be OK. It's just the internet connection on the D-Link which won't work, it connects to the router OK although only local access.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just had a thought. The problem lappy is a mates and the new Sky account is at his house. Could I take my Sky Netgear router to his house and connect it to his phone line, then try connecting wirelessly to his laptop?

Thanks

Yes, if you have a Sky router it will connect on any Sky broadband line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

My mate just phoned me. He contacted Sky and they talked him through changing the WPA pass phrase on the router. He was then able to connect with the laptop and got internet access.

Apparently it's a known issue with the D-Link router and some laptops.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks

That is the first thing you should do on any Sky router. The 8 caps default is very crackable for a competent hacker. You should use at least 12 characters with some %,*,!,$ characters mixed in for good measure.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Having looked at the router today. The Sky rep has replaced the original 8 caps default with another 8 caps key. Not only that but the security has been changed from WPA to WEP! I pointed out to my mate that this really isn't all that secure, but he didn't want me to change it as he was connecting and didn't want to mess it up.

Thanks

Then he is an idiot. The web is full of applications to crack WEP, most of them so simple just about anyone could do it. If he is having problem with WPA then it is most likely his adapter that either needs replaced or the drivers updated. If you if really forced to use WEP then he should use 128 bit encryption and give hackers a slightly better challenge

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast