Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Laptop & router query

This is a discussion on Laptop & router query within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I connected my laptop yesterday via wireless & although on my main pc i am getting D/L speeds of ...

Cockney is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Morley, Leeds
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Laptop & router query

Hi,

I connected my laptop yesterday via wireless & although on my main pc i am getting D/L speeds of 5.5 MB on my laptop i'm only maxing at around 500k & that's about 10 foot from the router.........Any suggestions as to how i can make the speeds on the laptop better or is that all i should get(never had a laptop or wireless router before)

Many thanks,
      Steve

2. Advertisement
      moshady is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I had a similar (but not so severe) problem. This was solved by using "Dr TCP":

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-32633.html

Select your wireless adapter from the list. I set RWIN to 64240 and MTU to 1500 and that speeded things up for me. There are plenty of other recommendations for different values out there - it's all relative to your connection speed so there's no "right" answer.

Alternatively you can try TCP Optimizer (google it) which is a bit more fully featured.

Hope this works for you. Make a note of any settings you change before you change them in case you need to go back.
      Last edited by moshady; 02-10-06 at 11:25 PM.