Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

WLAN partition

This is a discussion on WLAN partition within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have just got my Western Digital "My Book World" 2GB drive and I am now setting it up on ...

oldun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01480472536
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      St Neots, Cambs

WLAN partition

I have just got my Western Digital "My Book World" 2GB drive and I am now setting it up on my network

The network comprises an Acer Aspire 5920g laptop, an Advent 4211B netbook, a Lexmark S620 network printer, a black Sky router (DG934G?) and my My Book World NAS drive. The OS is Windows 7 on both computers.

The backup software that came with the drive warned me, on odd occasions, that it was not compatible with Windows 7 so I bought the premium version which, so I am told, is compatible.

After removing the basic backup software I installed the premium software on my Acer Aspire and created the necessary backup programs for that drive

After asking WD about the use of this software on two computers I have been given a special link to use with the Advent and I am in the process of installing the Premium software.

I have one strange anomaly between the two computers.

If I open "Control Panel/Network and Sharing Centre/Full Map" on either of the two computers I see a map which contains all five items (2 computers, printer, NAS and router).

If I open "Computer/Network" on the Acer I can see the Acer laptop and the NAS drive with its mapped components and the USB drive that is attached to the NAS BUT not the Advent.

If I open "Computer/Network" on the Advent I see only the Advent Netbook despite the fact that all the other components of the network are shown in the Control panel.

Obviously I have a weired problem with the Advent but I have no idea where to start - any help would be appreciated.

I have found out that if there is a "WLAN Partition" then this will not allow the two computers to talk to each other.

Can a WLAN Partition be setup/disabled on this Sky router and, if so, how can it be done?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: WLAN partition

Check under the Wireless settings in the router and make sure that 'Wireless Isolation' is not ticked. These prevents wireless attached machines seeing each other.

I think the term WLAN Partition is used by some manufacturers to refer to the Isolation option.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.